Thunder defeated by ColoradoFebruary 11, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Stockton Thunder
The Thunder, who saw a 5-0-1 streak come to an end, were outshot 41-29 and received their offensive contributions behind a second period goal by Max Campbell and a third period goal by Chris Doyle, who continued to stay hot with his 10th goal in the last 12 games.
"Colorado came out and capitalized on some mistakes we didn't need to make early on," said Thunder head coach Matt Thomas. "We put ourselves in a hole we couldn't dig out of. After it was 4-0 we played steady hockey but it was too little, too late. We need to be better from the get-go and have a better first period tomorrow."
Sides opened the scoring just 3:11 into the game when he finished Patrick Cey's centering pass while in an uncontested position between the hash marks for his second goal of the year.
Riley Nelson's one timer in the slot, coming off the rush from a tape-to-tape feed by Kevin Ulanski, put the Thunder behind 2-0 with 8:07 left in the second period.
Despite two attempts that missed off the post, including a flip by Jesse Fratkin that deflected off the crossbar, the Thunder fell into a deeper hole in the second period with Haddon's back to back goals helping secure Colorado's 4-0 lead.
His seventh goal of the season, at the 7:35 mark, put the Eagles up 3-0 when he buried a backhander from the base of the right circle. He followed up with his eighth goal of the season with 4:44 remaining in the period when he converted Adam Chorneyko's tape to tape pass at the right circle and snuck a low wrist shot past the blocker of Thunder goaltender Alex Stalock.
Following another missed opportunity by Matt Reber, whose wrist shot struck the post in the waning seconds, Campbell followed up to get the Thunder on the board with 19.2 seconds left on a wrist shot from the mid slot.
Sides extended the Colorado lead back to four goals with 9:16 left in the third period, finishing a rush at the front of the net from Steve Haddon's feed.
Doyle buried his 15th goal of the season to help the Thunder slash the deficit to 5-2 on his snap shot from the slot with 7:19 left in regulation.
Kyle Jones earned the win in net with 25 saves. Stalock, who was only the third goaltender in Thunder history to begin a season at 5-0-0, suffered his first ECHL loss with 36 saves.
ECHL Stories from February 11, 2012
- Aces' Trip Ends with 5-1 Loss to Steelheads - Alaska Aces
- Eagles Win 4th Straight After Weekend Sweep Against Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Grizzlies Settle for Weekend Split in Ontario - Utah Grizzlies
- Two-Goal Slips Through Reading's Grasp in Loss to Elmira - Reading Royals
- Nailers Top Titans; Bohmback Scores Twice - Trenton Titans
- Galivan Leads Glads to 3-1 Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Greenville wins 5-2 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Beca's Hat Trick Leads Everblades Over Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Greenville Gets Revenge - Kalamazoo Wings
- Jackals Rally in Second Period, Hold off Royals 3-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Express See Five-Game Win Streak Snapped by Stingrays, 3-2 - Chicago Express
- Cyclones' Rally Spoiled by Walleye, 4-3 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Delmas Makes 35 Saves in 4-2 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder at Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Offense Regains Some Firepower - Ontario Reign
- Justin Bowers Back to Greenville - Greenville Road Warriors
- Nolan Becomes 485th ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- Condors Vs. Las Vegas Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - February 11 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Episode 30 Features Eric Ballard and Craig Bommer - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - February 11, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Game Preview: Express at Gwinnett Tonight - Chicago Express
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Reading - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Gameday: Bobblehead Night and Wounded Warrior Night Tonight Against Everblades - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 11 - ECHL
- Thunder defeated by Colorado - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Trail Grizzlies in 2-1 Loss - Ontario Reign
- Condors Clip Wranglers 2-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Grizzlies Beat Ontario 2-1 - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Upend First Place Wranglers, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Aces Score Late to Top Steelheads, 3-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Aces Cash in Late for 3-2 Win in Idaho - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.