Admirals Cruise Past WhaleJanuary 13, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Norfolk Admirals
Mike Kostka and Matt Fornataro also scored for the Admirals while Dustin Tokarski turned aside 25 of 26 shots in the victory.
Norfolk took a 1-0 lead with a power play goal by Kostka 11:51 into the game. After shots by Barberio and Michel Ouellet were knocked aside by Whale netminder Chad Johnson, Kostka picked up a loose rebound in the slot and tipped it over the glove of the sprawling Whales' netminder for his fourth goal as an Admiral.
Just under two minutes into the second period, the Admirals doubled their lead to 2-0. After a steal by Barberio along the left half boards and tip in behind the Whale net, Carter Ashton chipped the puck out into the low slot. Conacher picked up the loose puck and sent a shot over the blocker of Johnson at 1:58 of the second stanza.
Fornataro's fourth goal of the year gave Norfolk a 3-0 in the third period. Philip-Michael Devos sent a shot from along the left boards that deflected off a Whale player in front of the net. Fornataro picked up the loose puck at the top of the crease and sent it over the glove of Johnson at 6:58 of the third period.
Norfolk's margin narrowed to 3-1 just after a Whale power play expired midway through the final frame. Connecticut's Aaron Voros knocked a loose rebound in front of the Admirals net over netminder Dustin Tokarski at 11:10.
However, the Admirals would hold off a late surge by the Whale to cap off the 3-1 victory.
Dustin Tokarski (15-9-0) stopped 25 of 26 shots in the victory while Chad Johnson (10-7-4) turned aside 31 of 34 shots in the defeat.
Norfolk was 1-5 on the power play while Connecticut was 0-4 with the man advantage.
The same two teams meet tomorrow night at Scope at 7:15 p.m. before the Admirals embark on a three-game road trip.
Tomorrow night's rematch against the Whale will be the fifth-annual Pink in the Rink Night to Benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure. This annual event features an Admirals game played on pink ice and seeks to educate and raise awareness about breast cancer while also raising monies for the Tidewater Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
Events leading up to and during the game include a breast cancer informational session, survivor participation during game night, "Hockey 101" and a silent auction for player-autographed Admirals and NHL items. The "Hockey 101" will be held starting at 6:15 p.m. Seating is based on a first-come, first-served basis. For more details, please visit norfolkadmirals.com .
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com .
Don't miss a minute of the action by purchasing your 2011-12 season tickets today. Season tickets start at just $350 while 10-Packs are available for as little as $110. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2012
- Admirals Fall to Wolves, Drop Third Straight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Win Fifth Straight with 2-1 Victory Over Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Aeros Hold off Rivermen 2-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Fall Flat in 5-2 Loss to Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Smith, IceHogs Knock off Barons in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Drop Overtime Decision to Marlies, 2-1 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Unlucky on Friday the 13th - Manchester Monarchs
- 13 Is Lucky Number for Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Aeros hold on for a 2-1 win - Houston Aeros
- Stars' Surge Too Much for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Cruise Past Whale - Norfolk Admirals
- Sateri Does the Monster Mash on Friday the 13th with 1-0 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Edge Bulldogs 5-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Sharks - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Aquire Ondrej Roman from Dallas in Exchange for Angelo - San Antonio Rampage
- Streaking Stars Stay Hot, Beat Griffins 6-4 in a Wild One - Texas Stars
- Crunch Roll to a 5-2 Win in Binghamton - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Shoot Past Monarchs 4-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dallas Trades Ondrej Roman for Angelo Esposito - Texas Stars
- Great Skate Winterfest Returns January 21-22 with Snowboarding "Rail Jam" and Dog Sled Rides - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Maintain Pricing on Season Ticket Packages for Third Consecutive Year - Binghamton Senators
- Outdoor Classic Fan Shuttles Launched - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Whale's Game Saturday to be Aired on Beethoven - Connecticut Whale
- Worcester Sharks to Host Online Jersey Auction to Benefit the 15-40 Connection - Worcester Sharks
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Blackhawks Assign Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Sign Landry to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Give Blood; Watch Hockey - Peoria Rivermen
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Webster Bank Arena Hero Honored - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Host Pirates Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Button Assigned to Reading - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Time Warner Cable Buy One Get One Games - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Reassign Max Gratchev to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros Game Day, January 13: Aeros at Peoria - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ride Seven-Game Point Streak into Tonight's Tussle with Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Losing Streak Continues with 4-0 Loss in Peoria - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen End First Half with Bishop's Sixth Shutout - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.