Sound Tigers Shoot Past Monarchs 4-2January 13, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The Monarchs opened the scoring just 3:49 into the game. With Sound Tigers forward Trevor Frischmon in the penalty box for high-sticking, Manchester went to work on the power play and capitalized late in the man-advantage. Dwight King received a pass in the right circle and fed the puck to Brandon Kozun by the left post. Kozun slammed the puck home past Sound Tigers netminder Anders Nilsson for his ninth goal of the season to give the Monarchs a 1-0 lead.
The Sound Tigers dominated the second period of play, seizing the momentum and outshooting Manchester 19-4 in the middle frame. Rakhshani brought the Sound Tigers even midway through the period shortly after a Bridgeport power play had expired. Rakhshani dropped the puck off to Aaron Ness above the left circle, then cut to the net slot where he received the puck. Rakhshani avoided a poke check, then fired a snap shot over Jeff Zatkoff's glove for his seventh goal of the season to make the score 1-1 at 9:03 of the period.
Ullstrom put the Sound Tigers on top with 2:24 left in the period via the power play. Sound Tigers defenseman Jon Landry made an immediate impact in his first game with the team, skating the puck towards the slot and sending a pass through the slot to Ullstrom. The second-year Sound Tiger who made his first appearance since being returned by the Islanders earlier this week sent the puck into the open net. It marked Landry's first career AHL point and was Ullstrom's team-leading 13th goal of the season as the Sound Tigers led 2-1 after 40 minutes.
Manchester drew even 3:24 into the third period when Robbie Czarnik battled to win the puck behind the Sound Tigers net, then banked the puck off of Nilsson and in to make the score 2-2. However, the Sound Tigers answered quickly and retook the lead just 22 seconds later. Matt Donovan's left point shot was blocked in front, but Tyler McNeely found the rebound in traffic and beat Zatkoff for his fourth goal of the season. The Monarchs pulled their goaltender in the final moments of regulation, but the Sound Tigers sealed the win as Rhett Rakhshani scored his second goal of the game on an empty net.
The Sound Tigers outshot the Monarchs 38-18 in the game, and Anders Nilsson made 16 saves to earn his sixth win of the season.
The Sound Tigers will look for their sixth straight win tomorrow night when they host the Providence Bruins on Pink Rink Night, sponsored by Norwalk Hospital, at Webster Bank Arena at 7:00 p.m. The Sound Tigers will wear commemorative pink jerseys which will be auctioned off, with all proceeds going to the Smilow Family Breast Health Center at Norwalk Hospital.
American Hockey League Stories from January 13, 2012
- Admirals Fall to Wolves, Drop Third Straight - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Win Fifth Straight with 2-1 Victory Over Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Aeros Hold off Rivermen 2-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- B-Sens Fall Flat in 5-2 Loss to Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Smith, IceHogs Knock off Barons in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Drop Overtime Decision to Marlies, 2-1 - Rochester Americans
- Monarchs Unlucky on Friday the 13th - Manchester Monarchs
- 13 Is Lucky Number for Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Aeros hold on for a 2-1 win - Houston Aeros
- Stars' Surge Too Much for Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Cruise Past Whale - Norfolk Admirals
- Sateri Does the Monster Mash on Friday the 13th with 1-0 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Admirals win over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Edge Bulldogs 5-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Fall to Sharks - Providence Bruins
- Panthers Aquire Ondrej Roman from Dallas in Exchange for Angelo - San Antonio Rampage
- Streaking Stars Stay Hot, Beat Griffins 6-4 in a Wild One - Texas Stars
- Crunch Roll to a 5-2 Win in Binghamton - Syracuse Crunch
- Sound Tigers Shoot Past Monarchs 4-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dallas Trades Ondrej Roman for Angelo Esposito - Texas Stars
- Great Skate Winterfest Returns January 21-22 with Snowboarding "Rail Jam" and Dog Sled Rides - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Maintain Pricing on Season Ticket Packages for Third Consecutive Year - Binghamton Senators
- Outdoor Classic Fan Shuttles Launched - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Whale's Game Saturday to be Aired on Beethoven - Connecticut Whale
- Worcester Sharks to Host Online Jersey Auction to Benefit the 15-40 Connection - Worcester Sharks
- Gameday Preview - Texas at Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Blackhawks Assign Smith to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Sign Landry to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Give Blood; Watch Hockey - Peoria Rivermen
- Jets Re-Assign Cormier to IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Webster Bank Arena Hero Honored - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Falcons Host Pirates Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Button Assigned to Reading - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Announce Time Warner Cable Buy One Get One Games - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Reassign Max Gratchev to Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Aeros Game Day, January 13: Aeros at Peoria - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Ride Seven-Game Point Streak into Tonight's Tussle with Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Losing Streak Continues with 4-0 Loss in Peoria - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rivermen End First Half with Bishop's Sixth Shutout - Peoria Rivermen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.