Kings Goaltender Quick Named NHL All-StarJanuary 12, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Manchester Monarchs
Quick, who turns 26 on Jan. 21, will be making his first NHL All-Star Game appearance. He's the fourth different Kings goaltender to make the All-Star team and first since 1981: (Terry Sawchuk in 1968; Rogie Vachon in 1973, 1975 and 1978 and Mario Lessard in 1981). The 6-1, 214-pounder from Milford, Conn. was originally selected by the Kings in the third round (72nd overall) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.
This season Quick is 18-11-6 with a 1.93 goals-against average, .934 save percentage and six shutouts. His NHL rankings among goaltenders are the following: tied for seventh in wins (18), fourth in goals-against-average (1.93), fifth in save percentage (.934), first in shutouts (6), tied for sixth in appearances (35) and seventh in saves (942). Quick has been named an NHL Star of the Week three times this season (No. 1 Star Oct. 24, No. 3 Star Dec. 5 and Jan. 2).
Quick is one of the 36 All-Stars named by the NHL today who will be joined in Ottawa by the six players elected through fan balloting (those players announced last week). Following the overwhelming success of its debut at last year's All-Star Weekend in Raleigh, the 2012 Molson Canadian NHL All-Star Player Fantasy Draft will be held on Thursday, Jan. 26 to divide the group into the two competing All-Star Teams, each comprised of 12 forwards, six defensemen and three goaltenders.
The 2012 NHL All-Star Weekend comes to Ottawa, Canada's capital, Jan. 26 through Jan. 29. The festivities culminate with the 2012 Tim Hortons NHL (r) All-Star Game on Sunday, Jan. 29 at Scotiabank Place. Live television coverage will be provided by CBC and RDS in Canada and the NBC Sports Network in the United States.
In 215 career NHL regular season games (all with the Kings) Quick is 114-77-18 with a 2.35 goals-against-average, .915 save percentage and 20 shutouts. Among the Kings all-time franchise leaders Quick's rankings are the following: third in wins (114), tied for first in goals-against-average (2.35 with Felix Potvin), first in save percentage (.915), second in shutouts (20), fourth in appearances (215) and second in saves (5,336).
Quick also owns the following club franchise records:
Save Percentage (.915)
Win Streak (Nine from Jan. 21-Feb. 6, 2010)
Shutout Streak (Three, Oct. 18-22, 2011)
Scoreless Streak (202:11 third period Oct. 15, 2011 through first period Oct. 22, 2011)
Games Played (72 in 2009-10)
Wins (39 in 2009-10)
Goals-against-average (2.24 in 2010-11 - tied with Vachon in 1974-75)
Save Percentage (.918 in 2010-11)
Minutes Played (4,258 in 2009-10)
Road shutouts (four in 2008-09 and 2010-11)
Rookie goals-against-average (2.48 in 2008-09 - tied with Jonathan Bernier in 2010-11)
Rookie Shutouts (four in 2008-09 - tied with Jamie Storr in 1998-99, Lessard in 1978-79 and Gerry Desjardins in 1968-69)
Internationally, Quick earned a silver medal for Team USA at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. He didn't appear in any games.
Quick appeared in 33 games for the Monarchs over two seasons (2007-09) and tallied a record of 17-13-2. The netminder also tallied a 2.48 goals-against-average and a 0.921 save percentage in a Monarchs uniform.
The Monarchs return to the Verizon Wireless Arena to host the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, January 13. Catch all the play-by-play action of Monarchs hockey with Ken Cail on the Monarchs Radio Network WGIR 610 AM, WTPL The Pulse 107.7 FM, WGIR.com and at www.manchestermonarchs.com, presented by Manchester-Boston Regional Airport.
American Hockey League Stories from January 12, 2012
- Checkers Come up Short Against Hershey - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Come Back to Defeat Charlotte, Earn Mid-Week Sweep - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Announce Roster Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Columbus Blue Jackets Recall Forward Dane Byers from AHL's Springfield Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Great Skate Winterfest Highlights Jam-Packed Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Capitals Recall Cody Eakin from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Dallas Reassigns Defenseman Jace Coyle to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Jamie Benn Selected to Play in All-Star Game in Ottawa - Texas Stars
- Kings Goaltender Quick Named NHL All-Star - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Assign Killeen to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Amerks to Hit the Ice Outdoors at Manhattan Square Park on Monday - Rochester Americans
- Oilers Recall Josh Green; Barons Recall Milan Kytnar - Oklahoma City Barons
- Former Worcester Sharks Forward Logan Couture Selected to 2012 NHL All-Star Game - Worcester Sharks
- IceCaps Re-Assign Maxwell to Eagles - St. John's IceCaps
- IceCaps Re-Assign Mannino to Express - St. John's IceCaps
- B-Sens Sign Forward Mike Bartlett - Binghamton Senators
- Mid-Season Report - Connecticut Whale
- Bowl with the IceHogs on March 4 at Cherry Bowl - Rockford IceHogs
- Sound Tigers Sign Brandon Gentile to PTO - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Announce Details of the Weis Weekend Calder Cup Tour - Binghamton Senators
- Sound Tigers Host Pink Rink Night Sponsored by Norwalk Hospital - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Ads Play Two this Weekend - Milwaukee Admirals
- Worcester Sharks Restructure Front Office; Announce Two New Hires - Worcester Sharks
- Bruins Recall Caron from Providence - Providence Bruins
- Bulldogs Recall Peter Delmas from Wheeling - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Race Night Set for January 27; Hyundai Car up for Grabs - Charlotte Checkers
- Checkers Lose Joslin, Recall Murray - Charlotte Checkers
- Falcons Make Special Donation to Local Youth Hockey Organizations - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Assign Kevin Quick to ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.