Bakersfield Uses 3rd Period to Beat Exhausted GrizzliesDecember 31, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) Utah Grizzlies
Utah played with just 14 skaters a night after competing with 12 and closing out a 6-5 win against Bakersfield.
"The guys did battle, the majority left it all on the ice, you could just see that there was no gas left in the tank," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley. "Goaltender Shane Owen played extremely well for us the whole game and our minds shutoff there as we got extremely fatigued and we left Shane out to dry in the third."
Utah tied the game at one 11:25 into the second period on Paul McIlveen's team-leading 13th goal of the year as the Grizzlies cashed in on a power-play. Nick Tuzzolino and Ryan Watson picked up assists as they setup McIlveen in the left wing circle. Utah evened the game 4:37 after Bakersfield took a 1-0 lead.
Utah Goaltender Shane Owen stopped 40 of 43 shots in the game.
The Condors scored two goals in 5:06 to build a 3-1 lead from 5:36 to 10:42 of the third period and added an empty-netter with 1:05 left in regulation.
Utah opens a four-game road trip Thursday in Alaska. Face-off is scheduled for 9:15 p.m.
The Grizzlies return home Friday, January 13 to host Idaho at 7:05 p.m.
ECHL Stories from December 31, 2011
- The Express Fall 3-2 to Greenville in Overtime on New Year's Eve - Chicago Express
- Las Vegas Spoils New Year's Party in Idaho - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Finish Calendar Year 2011 with Win in Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- Wranglers Cap 2011 with 5-2 Win Over Idaho - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bakersfield Uses 3rd Period to Beat Exhausted Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Road Warriors Ring In New Year In Dramatic Fashion - Greenville Road Warriors
- Nailers' Penalty Kill Completes Perfect Week - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield rings in the New Year with a 4-1 win in Utah - Bakersfield Condors
- K-Wings Dominate Walleye 7-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Fall to Everblades to Wrap up 2011 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Shootout-Savvy Jackals Take Over First Place in Conference - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Game Preview: Reading Vs. Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Goalie Bryan Hince Signed by Road Warriors - Greenville Road Warriors
- ECHL Transactions - December 31 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Greenville Tonight - Chicago Express
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - December 31, 2011 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Trade Maiani to Chicago for Johnson - South Carolina Stingrays
- Express Acquire Anthony Maiani from South Carolina - Chicago Express
- McCollum to Grand Rapids - Toledo Walleye
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Trenton - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - December 31 - ECHL
- Stingrays Gameday: First Robotics Night Presented by Google Tonight Vs. Everblades - South Carolina Stingrays
- 6,096 turn out for Dallas Braden appearance, Thunder snap regulation losing skid - Stockton Thunder
- Aces, Courchaine Ground Eagles 4-0 - Alaska Aces
- Reign Triumph Over Thunder in Shootout, 4-3 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.