Nailers' Penalty Kill Completes Perfect WeekDecember 31, 2011 - ECHL (ECHL) Wheeling Nailers
A little more than halfway through the opening period, the Royals started the scoring. Yannick Tifu dangled in toward the net from the left circle, but had his shot stopped by Patrick Killeen. However, the the puck deflected out to Yannick Riendeau, who knocked in the rebound. The Nailers had a quick answer, evening the score 1:43 later. Paul Crowder took the puck behind the net, and found Matt Lombardi at the bottom of the right circle. Lombardi immediately took his shot, snapping his seventh goal of the season glove side on Mark Owuya.
Wheeling took its first lead of the game just 46 seconds into the middle frame. Ben Farrer handed the puck to Denver Manderson, who dribbled a wrist shot through Owuya's pads from the middle of the slot. The Royals answered at the 3:07 mark, tying the game at two, as Todd Griffith scored on an odd-man rush with Ryan Cruthers. Cruthers netted a goal of his own with 3:43 to go in the second period, capitalizing on a loose puck in the slot, putting the visitors ahead at the end of two.
Neither team was able to find the twine in the third period, despite 17 shots on goal by the Nailers, as Reading escaped with a 3-2 victory.
Mark Owuya earned the win for the Royals, stopping 46 of the 48 shots he faced. Patrick Killeen was saddled with the loss, despite making 23 saves on 26 shots.
The Nailers will be back in action on Friday night, when they play host to the Cincinnati Cyclones at WesBanco Arena, with opening face-off scheduled for 7:35. For ticket information or to purchase tickets call 304-234-GOAL (4625) or online at shop.wheelingnailers.com. You can now purchase Nailers game tickets on your smartphone by visiting m.wheelingnailers.com.
ECHL Stories from December 31, 2011
- The Express Fall 3-2 to Greenville in Overtime on New Year's Eve - Chicago Express
- Las Vegas Spoils New Year's Party in Idaho - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Finish Calendar Year 2011 with Win in Wheeling, 3-2 - Reading Royals
- Wranglers Cap 2011 with 5-2 Win Over Idaho - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Bakersfield Uses 3rd Period to Beat Exhausted Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Road Warriors Ring In New Year In Dramatic Fashion - Greenville Road Warriors
- Nailers' Penalty Kill Completes Perfect Week - Wheeling Nailers
- Bakersfield rings in the New Year with a 4-1 win in Utah - Bakersfield Condors
- K-Wings Dominate Walleye 7-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Fall to Everblades to Wrap up 2011 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Shootout-Savvy Jackals Take Over First Place in Conference - Elmira Jackals
- Nailers Game Preview: Reading Vs. Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Goalie Bryan Hince Signed by Road Warriors - Greenville Road Warriors
- ECHL Transactions - December 31 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Greenville Tonight - Chicago Express
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - December 31, 2011 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Trade Maiani to Chicago for Johnson - South Carolina Stingrays
- Express Acquire Anthony Maiani from South Carolina - Chicago Express
- McCollum to Grand Rapids - Toledo Walleye
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira at Trenton - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - December 31 - ECHL
- Stingrays Gameday: First Robotics Night Presented by Google Tonight Vs. Everblades - South Carolina Stingrays
- 6,096 turn out for Dallas Braden appearance, Thunder snap regulation losing skid - Stockton Thunder
- Aces, Courchaine Ground Eagles 4-0 - Alaska Aces
- Reign Triumph Over Thunder in Shootout, 4-3 - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.