Brent Clevlen Sold to PhilliesAugust 5, 2011 - American Association (AA) Wichita Wingnuts
Clevlen has been assigned to the Double-A Eastern League's Reading Phillies. The Austin, TX native debuted for Reading last night, going 0 for 1 after joining the game as part of a double switch.
"Anytime we can get a guy signed out of here, it's a wonderful thing for our organization," said Wingnuts' manager Kevin Hooper. "Obviously it's tough when you lose a three-hole hitter of Brent Clevlen's caliber, but he has to what is best for his career. The plan for all of these guys is to try and get into affiliated ball. Our staff and organization wishes him nothing but the best, and hopefully he can do well and get back to the Major Leagues."
Clevlen hit .310 for the Wingnuts in 46 games played with 10 home runs and 32 RBI. The 27-year old Clevlen scored 32 runs, added 15 doubles, and drew 25 walks. On June 27th versus El Paso, Clevlen hit the first inside-the-park home run in team history. Clevlen also set a team record by hitting a home run in four consecutive games from July 24th-27th. Clevlen homered twice in the same inning on July 27th versus Fargo-Moorhead.
Clevlen opened the season with the Wingnuts before having his contract purchased by the Cincinnati Reds near the end of spring training. Clevlen appeared in 26 games with the Triple-A Louisville Bats before re-joining Wichita in early-June.
Clevlen spent parts of four seasons in the Major Leagues with the Detroit Tigers and Atlanta Braves, and appeared alongside Hooper in nine big league contests for Detroit in 2006.
Clevlen's purchase marks the 10th overall time the Wingnuts have sold a player to a Major League organization.
All-Time Wingnuts Signed by Major League Organizations 2008 - OF Dustan Mohr, Colorado Rockies 2010 - RHP Will Savage, Los Angeles Dodgers 2010 - RHP Ben Graham, Washington Nationals 2010 - LHP Justin Dowdy, Tampa Bay Rays 2011 - OF Ryan Patterson, Arizona Diamondbacks 2011 - LHP Dustin Pease, San Diego Padres 2011 - RHP Cephas Howard, Texas Rangers 2011 - OF Kenny Gilbert, Chicago White Sox 2011 - OF Brent Clevlen, Cincinnati Reds 2011 - OF Brent Clevlen, Philadelphia Phillies
The Wingnuts open a three-game series tonight against the Sioux City Explorers at Lewis and Clark Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. with Junior Guerra taking on right-hander Ty Marotz. All the action can be heard locally on Oldies 93.5 KWME and worldwide at www.kleyam.com following the completion of the 5:00 p.m. game of the 77th annual NBC World Series.
The Wingnuts return home on Tuesday, August 16th when they host the Kansas City T-Bones. For tickets, call the Wingnuts' office at (316) 264-NUTS or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
American Association Stories from August 5, 2011
- AirHogs Stave Off Two Late Lincoln Charges, Take Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simon, T-Bones Rally Again for Third Straight Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Fish alone in first after win in St. Paul - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Drop Tight Contest to T-Bones - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- RedHawks fall in extra innings - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Results - AA
- Saints Fall One Game Out of First With 6-5 Loss to Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Win Another Nailbiter - Wichita Wingnuts
- Midco Sports Network to Broadcast RedHawks - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Shreveport-Bossier Captains Game Cancellation - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Saints Add Another Arm, Ink Former Big League Pitcher Walker - St. Paul Saints
- Frawley Added to RedHawks Roster - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Brent Clevlen Sold to Phillies - Wichita Wingnuts
- Three-Game Homestand Topped off with Racecars at U. S. Steel Yard - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- X's Fall To T-Bones 11-9 - Sioux City Explorers
- Diablos Complete Sweep of Captains With 12-9 Win Thursday Night - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.