Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with VancouverNovember 24, 2010 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
"We're very happy we get to keep Alan Gordon at Chivas USA, and we're also excited to add Alejandro Moreno to our squad," said Chivas USA Vice President of Soccer Operations Stephen Hamilton. "We had the opportunity to add a pair of experienced and proven forwards, who will provide us with strength and depth up front."
Alan Gordon was acquired by Chivas USA on August 5, 2010, after playing with the LA Galaxy for more than six seasons. In nine games with the Red-and-White (eight starts), Gordon scored one goal and added three assists, and was named MLS Player of the Week for Week 24 of the Regular Season. In his MLS career, Gordon has played 108 matches, scoring 17 goals to go with 15 assists. He was selected with Vancouver's fifth pick in the 2010 Expansion Draft before the trade brought him back to the Red-and-White.
Venezuelan forward Alejandro Moreno has enjoyed a long and distinguished career in Major League Soccer, having played 222 regular season games (177 starts) since joining the league in 2002. Playing with the LA Galaxy (2002-2004), San Jose Earthquakes (2005), Houston Dynamo (2006), Columbus Crew (2007-2009) and Philadelphia Union (2010), Moreno has 45 goals and 35 assists in the regular season in his career. With the Venezuelan National Team, Moreno has made 23 appearances, scoring twice.
In addition to Gordon, Chivas USA defender Jonathan Bornstein was selected in the Expansion Draft, by the Portland Timbers with the team's 8th pick (15th overall). As Bornstein has already signed a contract with Tigres UANL of the Mexican First Division to start play in 2011, the Timbers have only acquired the domestic rights to Bornstein should he rejoin MLS in the future.
"As far as Jonny goes, his multi-year contract with Tigres factored in our decision to unprotect him in the draft, especially as we focus on building for next season," said Hamilton. "I'm sure we'll revisit this issue if and when he chooses to rejoin MLS."
Per MLS rules, Chivas USA and the other 15 current MLS clubs were allowed to protect only 11 players, with several other players exempt from selection by the Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers. A total of 15 Chivas USA players were available to be picked before Vancouver selected Gordon, at which point the Red-and-White added defender Mariano Trujillo to its protected list. After Bornstein was selected, no further Chivas players could have been selected in the draft.
For Alejandro Moreno's quotes on returning to Southern California, visit cdchivasusa.com.
For more information on the 2010 MLS Expansion Draft, including a list of the picks and analysis of Portland and Vancouver's selections, please visit cdchivasusa.com or www.mlssoccer.com .
Chivas USA broke camp last week and will return to training in late January ahead of the 2011 MLS campaign. Season Seats for 2011 are now on sale, with prices remaining at the same low rates as 2010. For more information, or to purchase tickets, please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com .
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2010
- Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Each Select 10 Players in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Timbers Add Eight Through Draft, Trades - Portland Timbers
- Chivas USA Re-Acquires Alan Gordon and Adds Alejandro Moreno in Trade with Vancouver - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sounders FC Acquires O'Brian White from Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Complete Trades with MLS Expansion Clubs - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Select Ten Players in MLS 2010 Expansion Draft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Acquires Arturo Alvarez Via Trade with Portland - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Complete Trades with Colorado, Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Release Players Collins John and Krzysztof Krol - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Loses Two in Expansion Draft - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Acquires Midfielder Dax McCarty - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire Defender/Midfielder Rodney Wallace from D.C. United - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Arturo Alvarez and Goalkeeper Joe Cannon Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Midfielders John Thorrington and Peter Lowry Selected in 2010 MLS Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Jordan Graye Selected by Portland in MLS Expansion Draft - D.C. United
- Timbers Select 10 Players in MLS Expansion Draft - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Defender Jonathan Leathers Selected by Vancouver in Expansion Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes 2010 Holiday Pack on Sale Now - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Turn Black Friday into Orange Friday with Special Discounts - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.