Santana Leads 'Dads past Drive, 4-0June 17, 2010 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Hickory Crawdads
The Crawdads (39-28) began their big scoring drive in the bottom of the fourth against Greenville starter RHP Ryan Pressley (2-4, 3.65 ERA). With one out in the inning, RF Jared Prince singled to left and 1B Mike Ortiz followed with a walk. Santana then stepped up to the plate and mashed a home run deep to left field to plate three runs, giving Hickory a 3-0 advantage.
The 'Dads tacked on an insurance run in the fifth to put them further ahead of the Drive (34-33). SS Leury Garcia got the rally started with a single up the middle and quickly proceeded to steal second and third base, adding to his league-leading stolen base total, now at 35. Prince then smacked a single to right to score Garcia and extend the Hickory lead to 4-0.
The Drive threatened to end the shutout bid in the bottom of the ninth with runners at first and third and two outs, but Ocampo induced a flyout to left from 2B Zach Gentile to kill the rally and pick up the save.
Wieland (6-4, 3.71 ERA) dealt six scoreless innings, surrendering just five hits, a walk, and six strikeouts for the win. Ocampo pitched the final three innings, allowing three hits and fanning five. Pressley was dealt the loss for Greenville, relinquishing three runs on three hits and two walks while striking out three in four innings.
On Friday, the Crawdads have a spectacular Friday Night Fireworks show following the game against the Greenville Drive, presented by Hickory Orthopaedic Center and WNNC 1230AM . The Crawdads are also hosting Fitness Night at the ballpark. Gates open at 6 p.m., first pitch is at 7 p.m.
Saturday night, the first 1,000 fans through the gates get a FREE T-Shirt compliments of Duck Graphics, Mountain View Chiropractic Center, and The Big Dawg 92.1FM. The 'Dads will also be hosting Ladies Night with booths for fans to sign up to win door prizes. There will be a Blood Drive held in the stadium parking lot from 3:30-7 p.m. Gates open at 6 p.m., first pitch is at 7 p.m.
South Atlantic League Stories from June 17, 2010
- Suns Fall in First Game of Final First-Half Series - Hagerstown Suns
- Gnats Move One Win Away from Championship with 4-1 Win - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Power Top Hagerstown, 7-5 - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Aren't Intimidated, Win 4-1 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Santana Leads 'Dads past Drive, 4-0 - Hickory Crawdads
- Drive Outhit Crawdads, but Lose 4-0 - Greenville Drive
- Gnats Take MEGA Series Opener, 4-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- 'Birds Win Fourth Straight, 3-0 over Legends - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Braves Tame RiverDogs - Rome Braves
- Delmarva Takes Series Opener over Legends, 3-0 - Lexington Legends
- Rome Quiets RiverDogs, 6-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Gnats Game Notes - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Gnats Katz Accepts Challenge - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Rome Adds Cunningham to Roster - Rome Braves
- Brown Accepts Savannah's MEGA Series Challenge - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shorebirds Game Notes: June 17 Vs. Lexington - Delmarva Shorebirds
- All-Star CF Miguel Velazquez to Participate in Home Run Derby - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Ramirez to DL, Milo Added to Roster - Charleston RiverDogs
- Charleston Baseball Hall of Fame Releases 2010 Candidates - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws to Host Cole Bros. Circus, August 5-8 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Series Preview: June 17-20 at Augusta - Savannah Sand Gnats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.