Colome, Yates Shut Down Loons in 4-1 WinMay 18, 2010 - Midwest League (MWL) - Bowling Green Hot Rods Press Release
For the third straight game, the Hot Rods opened the scoring with a first inning run, although they pulled off the feat on Tuesday without a hit. Dustin Biell drew a lead-off walk against Josh Wall. He was advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt from Tyler Bortnick. Ryan Wiegand followed with a groundout, moving Biell to third base. With the next batter, Mark Thomas, at the plate, Wall uncorked a wild pitch to score Biell and give the Hot Rods a 1-0 lead.
Sloppy fielding led to the Hot Rods next run in the top of the third. With one out, Ty Morrison struck out, but catcher Gorman Erickson mishandled the ball, allowing Morrison to reach first base. With Biell batting, Wall made multiple pick-off throws to first, eventually throwing one too low that skipped away and let Morrison run to second base. A few pitches later, with Biell still batting, Morrison took off for third. He reached third with his 14th steal of the season, but the throw flew into left field allowing Morrison to score for a 2-0 lead.
Great Lakes earned a run back against Colome in the bottom of the fourth. Angelo Songco walked and then took second on a passed ball. After a strikeout of Blake Smith, Colome yielded a ground ball single to center off the bat of Jerry Sands to score Songco. Sands ended up at second base before the inning was over, but Colome retired the next two batters to get out of the inning.
That was all the Loons could get off of Colome, who worked six innings for the third straight start. He gave up one unearned run on just three hits and a walk. He struck out six, ending his outing by catching Sands looking at strike three to end the sixth inning. In the month of May he is now 3-0 and has allowed just one earned run in 18 innings (0.50 ERA).
The Hot Rods provided insurance for Colome with solo runs in the seventh and eighth innings. The seventh tally came with a one out single from Diogenes Luis followed two batters later with a run-scoring, two-out double from Biell to make it 3-1.
In the eighth, Ryan Wiegand led off with a walk. After Mark Thomas struck out, Wiegand stole second base as Nommensen was striking out to put a runner into scoring position. Eligio Sonoqui followed, and he wouldn't disappoint in his first game off the disabled list, driving a double to deep left-center field to put the Hot Rods up 4-1.
Kirby Yates took it from there, throwing the final three innings to earn his 4th save of the season. He didn't allow a hit, walked one, hit one, and struck out five. On the season Yates has struck out 31 batters in just 19 innings.
The series continues on Wednesday night as lefty Aaron Dott makes his Hot Rods debut against Loons RHP Brett Wallach (2-0, 3.03). First pitch is at 6:05 PM CDT. You can follow the game with Tom Gauthier beginning at 5:50 PM CDT on 1340 AM WBGN and www.bghotrods.com.
The Hot Rods return home to begin a 13-game home stand on Tuesday, May 25, against the South Bend Silver Hawks (Arizona Diamondbacks). The first game of the home stand is one of six games that will benefit Warren County Parks and Recreation. Any fan that purchases a $10 regularly-priced box seat ticket for that night's game using the promotional code "WCPARKS" (use all caps) will help recover Warren County parks damaged by recent flooding. Fans can use the code at the ticket window, by calling 270.901.2121, or at bghotrods.com. The Hot Rods will donate a portion of tickets sales from those six games to Warren County Parks and Recreation. For the complete list of dates and a full listing of upcoming promotions, visit www.bghotrods.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 18, 2010
- Colome, Yates Shut Down Loons in 4-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers Take Wild Loss, Split Double Dip - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Snap Streak with 10-3 Win over River Bandits - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cougars Rally, Split Doubleheader - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts Win 6th Straight, 6-3 over Dayton - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Downed by Hot Rods Pitchers - Great Lakes Loons
- First Inning Folly Leaves Bandits with 10-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bees Wind Up on Short End of Pitchers' Duel - Burlington Bees
- Total Team Effort in Rattlers Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Suffer Worst Loss Since 2006 in 14-1 Thumping - Peoria Chiefs
- Ramirez Pitches Kings to Fourth-Straight Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Fall to Lansing 6-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Silver Hawks Shut Out by TinCaps - South Bend Silver Hawks
- TinCaps Blank South Bend, 4-0 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Voting Opens For Fans Choice Tee Designs - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Prepare for Saturday "Day-Night" Doubleheader - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Look To Defeat Lugnuts - Dayton Dragons
- Modern Woodmen Park Hosts In-State Rivalry Game - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Ivy Leaguer Joins Silver Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Tommy Lasorda Returns to Midland - Great Lakes Loons
- Cedar Rapids Kernels Receive and Place Players On Team - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Staff Ace Lamb Promoted to Wilmington - Burlington Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.