Wolves Rally Stopped By ShootoutDecember 11, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Chicago Wolves
Trailing, 4-3, with 8:05 left to play in regulation, right wing Anthony Stewart collected the puck from left wing Brett Sterling and cranked a quick wrister past Marlies netminder Andrew Engelage to even the score and send the game into overtime.
Chicago (12-12-1-1) was whistled for three penalties in the five-minute extra frame, but held off Toronto to send the game into a shootout. Wolves netminder Drew MacIntyre kicked out six shots in overtime and thwarted seven Marlies attempts in the shootout, but it wasn't enough for the win. Stewart and center Kevin Doell scored for Chicago in the shootout.
After a scoreless first period, Doell broke the deadlock, giving Chicago a 1-0 lead, one minute into the second period. Toronto was trying to clear the puck from the zone but center Matt Anderson blocked the breakout pass and took a shot on net from the doorstep. The shot trickled through the goal crease and Doell was able to push the puck past Engelage for the goal.
Toronto (12-9-2-1) tied it at one at 5:16 of the second period. Defenseman Brendan Mikkelson took a shot from the point through traffic and the puck ricocheted off several defenders before it made its way to center Tyler Bozak, who redirected the puck over MacIntyre.
MacIntyre (7-8-1) posted 33 saves in regulation and overtime.
The Marlies took a 2-1 lead on the power play when defenseman Josh Engel wristed a shot from the point and the puck flew into the net past a screened MacIntyre at 7:11 of the second.
Thirty-five seconds later, the Wolves lit the lamp again on a power-play goal from Sterling. Engelage made the first save on center Jason Krog's shot from the circle, but right wing Tim Stapleton hacked at it and the puck squirted free. Sterling was able to pick up the puck and push it past Engelage to even the score at two.
Left wing Viktor Stalberg regained the lead for Toronto, 3-2, just 1:35 later when he skated the puck around the net and took a shot from the circle past MacIntyre, far-post.
The second period flurry of goals continued at 9:21, when Krog evened the score at three apiece with a shot from the point for the Wolves second power-play goal of the night.
The Marlies scored again to take a 4-3 lead into the second intermission. Bozak won an offensive-zone faceoff for Toronto and passed the puck back to defenseman Jonas Frogren on the point. Frogren one-timed the puck past MacIntyre, glove-side, at 16:03.
Engelage (2-2-0) stopped 18 of 22 shots and thwarted eight Chicago shootout attempts for the win.
The Wolves travel to Cleveland tomorrow for the first of two back-to-back games against the Lake Erie Monsters at the Quicken Loans Arena, beginning with a matchup on Sat., Dec. 12, at 6:30 p.m.
American Hockey League Stories from December 11, 2009
- Admirals Take Down San Antonio - Milwaukee Admirals
- Three-In-Three Begins With Loss For Lake Erie - Lake Erie Monsters
- Rampage Stumble In 4-2 Loss To Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Rivermen Finish Trip With 2-1 Win in Houston - Peoria Rivermen
- Monarchs Reign The Waters - Manchester Monarchs
- Five Goal Second Period Lifts Sound Tigers Over Falcons, 6-2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Stars Outshine The IceHogs Again - Rockford IceHogs
- Texas Beats Rockford 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Falcons Fall To Sound Tigers 6-2 - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Coast Past Adirondack - Syracuse Crunch
- River Rats Shutout Hershey - Albany River Rats
- Legein Scores Twice In Phantoms Loss To Crunch - Adirondack Phantoms
- Pirates down Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Sharks fire 49, but fall in Manchester 6-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Wolves Rally Stopped By Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Heat Wave' Hits Rochester, Amerks Lose 2-1 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Fall to Moose 4-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- River Rats Shutout Hershey - Albany River Rats
- Griffins Slay Monsters in Shootout for Third Straight Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Edge Amerks 2-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Moose Top Admirals, 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Pirates Over-Power Wolf Pack - Portland Pirates
- P-Bruins Shutout Devils 3-0 - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Claim Center Mike Radja - Syracuse Crunch
- Sunday's Game Back On WOOD 1300 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Host Leafs Practice Prior To Game This Sunday - Toronto Marlies
- Canadiens Assign Yannick Weber To Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Help Amerks And Knighthawks Raise $500 For Salvation Army - Rochester Americans
- IceHogs In Texas Tonight, Recall Palmer - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sign Forward Matt Syroczynski - Norfolk Admirals
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Defenseman Chris Armstrong Out Indefinitely - Springfield Falcons
- Amerks Host Heat Tonight At The Blue Cross Arena - Rochester Americans
- Hurricanes Recall Dwyer, Tlusty From Albany - Albany River Rats
- Falcons Host The Sound Tigers Tonight - 7:30 Pm - Springfield Falcons
- Reading's Ross Returns - Providence Bruins
- Big Home Weekend For Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.