Hogs Strike First, But Stars Shine In 3-1 WinNovember 18, 2009 - American Hockey League (AHL) Rockford IceHogs
Bracken Kearns gave Rockford a 1-0 lead at 11:45 in the first period on the power play. Kearns backhanded a goal into the cage with helpers from Brian Connelly and Mike Brennan. But then the Stars defense and league-leading goalie Brent Krahn shut Rockford down and posted three goals for the win. Rockford falls to 7-2-1-1 when scoring first in a game.
"We have to do a better job of getting in front of the net," said alternate captain and leading scorer Mark Cullen. "They have good defense and don't give you anything for free. We have to do what it takes to get something past them."
Texas got the scoring going with Warren Peters, who found a pass from Sergei Korostin at 12:17 in the slot to even the score at one. Mathieu Beaudoin was also credited with an assist.
Peters then took a feed from Colton Sceviour to tally his second of the night at 19:11.
In the second period, Luke Gazdic chipped one past Joe Fallon at 3:00 to give Texas a two goal lead. Travis Morin and Maxime Fortunis were credited with the assist.
"We just didn't get the bounces or didn't give the extra effort to get the bounces," Cullen said. "You have to be up every night. It doesn't matter who the opponent is, the standings are close right now and we have to do a better job of getting points."
Fallon stopped 28 shots in the losing effort, while Krahn made 31 saves for the win. Texas was 0-for-5 on the power play, while Rockford was 1-for-3 against the league's top penalty kill.
Next Home Game: Friday, Nov. 20 vs. Chicago Wolves. The game starts at 7:05 p.m. The IceHogs are going green, literally. As a part of the IceHogs green initiative in 2009-10, the team will wear special green jerseys when they take on the Wolves. The game is sponsored by No Idle Zone. The jerseys will be raffled off on Friday night and all fans in attendance can register to win! The first 2,000 fans to the game will also receive a green T-shirt replicating the special jerseys worn by the IceHogs.
American Hockey League Stories from November 18, 2009
- Hogs Strike First, But Stars Shine In 3-1 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Aeros Defeat Peoria 1-0 - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Rally For 4-3 Win, Move Into Third Place - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Spoil Captain Bagnall's Debut - Manchester Monarchs
- Game Recap: Aeros Steal 1-0 Win Away From Rivermen - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolf Pack Toppled in Shootout - Connecticut Whale
- Texas Takes Down Rockford 3-1 - Texas Stars
- Devils Stunned By Falcons, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Red Hot Ryan Keller Leads B-Sens To 2-1 Shootout Victory Over Hartford - Binghamton Senators
- Backlund Blanks Marlies In Glens Falls 2-0 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Pirates Outlast Sharks 5-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Rats Crunch Syracuse 5-2 - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Claw Past Monarchs In Shootout - Norfolk Admirals
- Mancari Scores Twice To Lead Pirates To Win - Portland Pirates
- Crunch Go Down in Capital City - Syracuse Crunch
- Three New Members Join Front Office Team - Peoria Rivermen
- Amerks Also Mean 'Business' Off The Ice - Rochester Americans
- Hogs Seek Vengeance As Stars Return, Bickell Recalled - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks And Zweigle's Partner For A 'Hot Dog' Of A Deal - Rochester Americans
- Worcester Sharks Host Annual "Hat & Mittens Holiday Skate With The Sharks" Sunday - Worcester Sharks
- Extremely Limited Number Of Tickets Remain For Friday's Game - Binghamton Senators
- Houston Aeros 2nd Annual Chilly's Pet Pals Game Sunday - Houston Aeros
- Anaheim Reassigns Beleskey, Bodie & Festerling To Toronto - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Sign Left Wing Bates Battaglia - Syracuse Crunch
- Hurricanes Recall Justin Peters From Albany - Albany River Rats
- Rivermen Sign Matt Stefanishion To PTO - Peoria Rivermen
- Minnesota Wild Recalls RW Danny Irmen - Houston Aeros
- Feast On This: Wolves Food Drive Fights Hunger - Chicago Wolves
- CJ's House Of Bounce Named Official Al's Pals Kids Club Party Zone - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Canadiens Assign Mathieu Carle To The Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- NHL First Round Draft Pick Assigned To Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- It's Peanut Butter - Jelly Time - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Set To Host The Devils Tonight - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Bounce Bulldogs 4-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Bulldogs Can't Handle The Heat In 4-1 Loss - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.