Cowen And Koper Named To Team WHLOctober 29, 2009 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Spokane Chiefs
The 2009 SUBWAY© Super Series marks the seventh straight year that teams of CHL All-Stars have competed against Team Russia in preparation for the World Junior Hockey Championships. The SUBWAY© Super Series is an integral part of the evaluation process prior to Team Canada's final selection camp in December. This season, Canada will be competing for a record sixth straight gold medal at the 2010 tournament in Saskatoon and Regina, SK.
Team WHL was selected by a special committee of WHL General Managers along with Al Murray, Hockey Canada's Head Scout for the Canadian National Junior Team, as part of the selection process for the 2010 World Junior Hockey Championships.
"The WHL is fortunate to have so many good players to choose from for the SUBWAY© Super Series," commented Willie Desjardins of the Medicine Hat Tigers, who will coach Team WHL and serve as Head Coach for Team Canada. "This is a great opportunity for our players to compete against a very talented Russian team and showcase themselves to Hockey Canada for future International events."
The complete Team WHL roster consists of 33 players - two goalies, 10 defenceman and 21 forwards. Top NHL prospects for the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, including Brett Connolly (PG), Curtis Hamilton (SAS), Quinton Howden (MJ), Calvin Pickard (SEA) and Mark Pysyk (EDM), will compete in the series along with four first round draft picks from the 2009 NHL Entry, Brayden Schenn (BDN), Scott Glennie (BDN), Jared Cowen (SPO) and Carter Ashton (LET). Forward Jordan Eberle (REG) and defenceman Colten Teubert (REG) represent returning players from Team Canada's 2009 gold medal winning team and both were selected in the first round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Game tickets are available at Kelowna's Prospera Place Box Office (250-762-5050) and at Victoria's Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre Box Office (250-220-7777) or visit www.selectyourtickets.com.
Western Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2009
- Cowen And Koper Named To Team WHL - Spokane Chiefs
- Two Oil Kings Will Compete In The Subway Super Series - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Brett Ponich To Play For Team WHL In The 2009 Subway Super Series - Portland Winterhawks
- Two Pats To Play In Subway Super Series - Regina Pats
- Raiders To Wear Special Jerseys For Cancer Awareness Night Tomorrow - Prince Albert Raiders
- WHL This Week: Looking Ahead... - WHL
- Cougars & Hubbell Designer Goldsmiths Announce Player Of The Month - Prince George Cougars
- Myers to stick with Sabres of the NHL - Kelowna Rockets
- Kelowna players named to Team WHL in Subway Super Series - Kelowna Rockets
- Shinnimin To Compete For Team WHL At Subway Super Series - Tri-City Americans
- Brett Connolly To Take Part In 2009 Subway Super Series - Prince George Cougars
- Pair Of Broncos Make Team WHL - Swift Current Broncos
- Ashton Selected For Team WHL - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blades Send Two To Subway Super Series - Saskatoon Blades
- Team WHL Rosters Announced For Subway Super Series - WHL
- Western Canada Under-16 Challenge Cup Begins Today - WHL
- Wheat Kings Edge The Chiefs - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Open BC Road Trip With 4-1 Loss In Kelowna - Calgary Hitmen
- Everett Takes Down Kootenay, 4-1 - Everett Silvertips
- Gore's 44 Saves Snap Americans Win Streak - Tri-City Americans
- Rockets Defeat Calgary - Kelowna Rockets
- Beach Has Hat Trick, Chiefs Drop Decision - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.