Senators walk over BaysoxJuly 20, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Bowie Baysox
Baysox starter Fredy Deza was dealt his fourth loss of the season, allowing two earned runs on five hits while walking five and striking out one. During their four-game losing skid, Baysox pitchers have walked 32 batters while striking out 14.
Harrisburg tallied both of their runs in the second inning. Deza walked Marvin Lowrance to start the inning before allowing an RBI triple by Edgardo Baez. Freddie Bynum brought home Baez later in the inning with an RBI single to stake the Senators to a 2-0 lead.
Adrian Alaniz had his way with the Baysox offense through 4.0 innings of work. The right-hander allowed two hits and walked two while working around a couple of jams. In the third inning, the Baysox put men on first and second with two-out before Alaniz got first baseman Eric Crozier to go down swinging to end the inning. In the fourth, the Baysox put men on first and second with nobody out but were unable to produce any runs to get back in the game.
One bright spot for the Baysox was the performance of the bullpen, as right-handers Tim Bascom and John Mariotti each worked 2.0 scoreless innings. Bascom was making his first appearance out of the bullpen for the Baysox this season and allowed one hit and two walks while striking out two. Mariotti walked two and allowed two hits, but worked out of trouble to keep Harrisburg off the board.
Harrisburg right-hander Clint Everts came out of the bullpen to pick up his third win of the season. Everts tossed 3.0 innings of shutout ball allowing two hits and striking out four. Josh Wilkie did not allow a base-runner while striking out three over the final 2.0 innings to earn his third save.
The two teams will do battle again tomorrow. LHP Brian Matusz (5-0, 2.01) looks to play stopper and earn his team-leading sixth win of the season. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.
Eastern League Stories from July 20, 2009
- 'Wolves move to second place with 6-2 win - Erie SeaWolves
- Cats walk off with 5-4 win over Trenton - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Senators walk over Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- New Hampshire stuns Trenton 5-4 in extras - Trenton Thunder
- Erie downs Aeros again, win 6-2 - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators offer state employees discount tickets - Harrisburg Senators
- Explosive second inning leads B-Mets to 11-5 win - Binghamton Mets
- Portland blasts Cats in opener, 19-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defenders Fall 11-5 - Connecticut Defenders
- Portland Pounds Rock Cats, 19-1 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Curve take opener 8-2 over Reading - Altoona Curve
- Rock Cats make four transactions - New Britain Rock Cats
- John Ely Wins Pitcher of the Week - Binghamton Mets
- Senators Player Moves - Harrisburg Senators
- Buck Night Tonight! - Erie SeaWolves
- Aerodynamics - Akron Aeros
- Two Tickets for the Price of One! - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Celebration of Negro Leagues Night Next Monday, July 27 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Holt Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Binghamton Mets
- Eastern League Names Players of the Week - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.