AerodynamicsJuly 20, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
Game, Set, Match...The Aeros won their third game in a row yesterday, taking the finale of their four-game series with the Bowie Baysox by the final count of 7-3 at Canal Park. Bowie struck first in the contest, and the score remained tied at 3-3 through five innings thanks to three RBI from Bowie DH Ambiorix Concepcion. Akron took hold of the contest in the sixth inning however, striking for four runs to put the game out of reach. CF Jose Constanza put the Aeros ahead to stay with an RBI triple (his team-leading sixth of the year) and LF Matt McBride followed two batters later with two-run homer to left. SS Carlos Rivero later added a run-scoring single, helping left-hander Michael Tejera to his first win in three starts this season.
Duo Dominating Daily...Over the last two series against Erie and Bowie, Matt McBride and Jose Constanza have led the Aeros offensively every single game. In fact, McBride and Constanza are batting a combined .448 (26-58) over the past nine games with six doubles, a triple, five home runs, 13 RBI and 21 runs scored. Thanks to Constanza's incredible eight-game walk streak, the two players also have 17 walks in this stretch for an unreal .618 on-base percentage and an .845 slugging percentage, accounting for 28% of Akron's hits and 45% of the runs scored in these nine games.
Kyle's Getting Comfortable...Kyle Haines got the starting nod at third base yesterday and continued a recent hot streak after subbing in for 3B Jared Goedert in the fourth inning of Saturday's contest. The backup utility infielder, who has now started at least three games at second, short and third this season, finished Sunday 3-3 with a run scored, an RBI and a sacrifice bunt. The 26-year-old Illinois native has raised his batting average 94 points in the last two days up to .233 by going a combined 5-7 for his first two multi-hit games of the season. He was signed by the Indians organization June 2nd after beginning the year with the Camden Riversharks of the Atlantic League, and was an All-Star in the Eastern League with the Connecticut Defenders in 2008.
Bowie and the Bullpen...In the final three games against the Baysox (all Akron victories), the bullpen shined brightly as the Aeros snapped their season-high six-game losing streak. Six different relievers combined to deliver nine shutout innings in the three wins, permitting only four hits and one walk (a 0.56 WHIP) while striking out five batters (including three scoreless innings from RHPs Zach Putnam and Neil Wagner yesterday). On the flip side, the Bowie bullpen allowed nine runs on 15 hits and 12 walks in the final three games, posting an 8.10 ERA and a 2.70 WHIP in 10.0 innings.
News and Notes...Sunday's four-run margin was the 32nd time this season the Aeros won a contest by three runs or more, while Binghamton and Altoona have only 35 wins all season long...Akron collected nine walks along with 12 hits yesterday, one walk shy of matching Saturday's double-digit walk and hit total.
Eastern League Stories from July 20, 2009
- 'Wolves move to second place with 6-2 win - Erie SeaWolves
- Cats walk off with 5-4 win over Trenton - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Senators walk over Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- New Hampshire stuns Trenton 5-4 in extras - Trenton Thunder
- Erie downs Aeros again, win 6-2 - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators offer state employees discount tickets - Harrisburg Senators
- Explosive second inning leads B-Mets to 11-5 win - Binghamton Mets
- Portland blasts Cats in opener, 19-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Defenders Fall 11-5 - Connecticut Defenders
- Portland Pounds Rock Cats, 19-1 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Curve take opener 8-2 over Reading - Altoona Curve
- Rock Cats make four transactions - New Britain Rock Cats
- John Ely Wins Pitcher of the Week - Binghamton Mets
- Senators Player Moves - Harrisburg Senators
- Buck Night Tonight! - Erie SeaWolves
- Aerodynamics - Akron Aeros
- Two Tickets for the Price of One! - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Celebration of Negro Leagues Night Next Monday, July 27 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Holt Named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week - Binghamton Mets
- Eastern League Names Players of the Week - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.