Defenders Win 12-5July 5, 2009 - Eastern League (EL) Connecticut Defenders
The Defenders scored nine runs over the course of the seventh and eighth innings to create seperation and eventually tie the series at one game a piece.
Connecticut got out to an early 2-0 lead with the use of heads up base running and two R-Phil errors. LF-Bobby Felmy and SS-Sharlon Schoop each singled with two outs in the second putting runners on the corners. Schoop drew a throw as he took off for second and Felmy darted home to eventually run over C-Tuffy Gosewisch jarring the ball loose and plating the Defenders first run. Schoop had his chance after C-Tyler LaTorre walked and mirrored Schoop taking off for second but this time around Schoop slide home safely.
With a 3-0 lead heading into the bottom of the fourth, RHP-Tim Alderson made his first mistake by walking 2B-Carlos Leon the leadoff batter. LF-Jeremy Slayden took the very next pitch over the centerfield wall as Alderson tried to get ahead. In a tough battle with 3B-Neil Sellers, Alderson hung a curveball in which Sellers straightened out over the leftfield wall to tie the game at three.
Alderson (5-1) had only the one inning hiccup before settling down. He finished allowing three earned runs off of just three hits, walked one and fanned three while picking up his fifth win.
The Defenders broke the tie in the seventh plating four runs off of four consecutive hits. 2B-Brock Bond's RBI single proved to be the game winner but also extended his on base streak to 49 games. CF-Mike McBryde delivered the big punch with a two RBI double down the leftfield line and 1B-Brett Pill capped it off with a sac fly. Connecticut added five more in the eighth and another McBryde two RBI double for the icing on the cake. McBryde went 4 for 5 with three doubles and four RBIs in the game.
The R-Phils starter, LHP-Yohan Flande (0-1) dropped his first game giving up six runs-five earned off of ten hits, walked one and struck out three in his second start.
Connecticut looks for another series victory tomorrow in the rubber match at 12:05pm at First Energy Stadium in Reading, PA. RHP-Brooks McNIven (1-2) tosses for the Defenders while RHP-Kyle Drabek (5-0) counters for the R-Phils.
Eastern League Stories from July 5, 2009
- Donovan Goes 2-for-4 with Two SBs in 9-3 Loss to Sea Dogs - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Return the Favor, Blank Curve - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Bring on the Fireworks, Beat Cats 9-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- New Britain Blanks Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Shut Out in Loss - Altoona Curve
- Aeros Take Two Sunday in Harrisburg - Akron Aeros
- Big Phillies Ibanez Expected to Play for R-Phils - Reading Fightin Phils
- Davis Homers in Second Straight Game, B-Mets Succumb 3-1 - Binghamton Mets
- Defenders Win 12-5 - Connecticut Defenders
- Rondon Promoted - Akron Aeros
- Erie SeaWolves at Binghamton Mets - Erie SeaWolves
- Aeros Media Notes - Akron Aeros
- Jose Molina to rehab with Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Trenton walks off with 7-6 win - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.