D.C. United acquires Jerson Monteiro from Chicago FireSeptember 14, 2007 - Major League Soccer (MLS) D.C. United
"We are pleased to acquire a young striker, who we believe has the potential to flourish in our environment," said United Technical Director Dave Kasper.
Monteiro was originally selected by the Fire in the first round of the 2007 MLS SuperDraft as the eighth overall selection. The Angolan native received his green card earlier this year and thus will count as a domestic player on United's roster.
This year, Monteiro has seen time in five League matches (one start), notching a goal in 154 minutes on the pitch. His lone goal came against D.C., when United topped Chicago 3-1 on June 16 at RFK Stadium. The forward has seen time in three Reserve Division matches (two starts) with the Fire, totaling 235 minutes.
A four-year starter at the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Monteiro was a three-time All-Conference USA player with the Blazers, named to the First Team in 2006 and Third Team in 2003 and 2005. Monteiro notched 34 goals and 16 assists in 77 collegiate appearances (74 starts). He was UAB's leading scorer during his freshman (eight goals, three assists), sophomore (seven goals, three assists) and senior (14 goals, seven assists). He was the second leading scorer on the team during his junior year, notching five goals.
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2007
- Kansas City Wizards Host Columbus Crew Saturday in Pivotal Game - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Acquires Rights to D Leonard Griffin From Chicago - Columbus Crew
- Fire Trade Jerson Monteiro - Chicago Fire
- Kansas City Wizards Acquire Partial Allocation, Draft Picks From Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Cristman Elevated to Revolution's Senior Roster - New England Revolution
- MLS Weekly Preview and Broadcast Info - MLS
- Esky Returns To Toronto - Toronto FC
- D.C. United acquires Jerson Monteiro from Chicago Fire - D.C. United
- Fire and Red Bulls Meet in Eastern Conference Clash Saturday - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire - Cruz Azul on October 10 Presented by Boost Mobile® - Chicago Fire
- Three Teams Could Clinch MLS Cup Playoff Berths This Weekend - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.