Crew Acquires Rights to D Leonard Griffin From Chicago
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Columbus Crew announced today that the club has acquired the rights to defender Leonard Griffin from the Chicago Fire, in exchange for the Crew's natural fourth-round selection in the 2008 MLS Supplemental Draft.
Griffin was drafted by Chicago in the second round (No. 11 overall) of the 2004 MLS SuperDraft by the Chicago Fire and appeared in 18 games with the Fire over three seasons. He appeared in a career-high nine games as rookie in 2004, while playing multiple defensive positions on the Fire back line. He then appeared in three games in 2005 and six in 2006. Chicago waived Griffin during the 2007 pre-season, but retained his MLS rights. He signed with USL First Division side Portland Timbers in March and has been a defensive stalwart for the club throughout the 2007 season, while also registering two goals.
Griffin played his collegiate soccer at UCLA from 2000 to 2003, where he was a standout on the Bruins defense. In his senior season, he was named First-Team All-Pac 10, while leading a UCLA defense that tied a school-record with a meager 0.52 goals against average. Griffin was named Honorable Mention All-Pac 10 in 2002, his junior season, and helped lead the squad to a championship in the 2002 NCAA Men's College Cup.
The Columbus Crew is Ohio's Major League Soccer club, anchoring a diverse sports and entertainment enterprise. One of the league's Charter Members, it is currently in its 12th season overall and ninth in first-of-its-kind Columbus Crew Stadium.
TRANSACTION: The Columbus Crew (MLS) acquired the rights to D Leonard Griffin from the Chicago Fire, in exchange for a fourth-round selection in the 2008 MLS Supplemental Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2007
- Kansas City Wizards Host Columbus Crew Saturday in Pivotal Game - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Acquires Rights to D Leonard Griffin From Chicago - Columbus Crew SC
- Fire Trade Jerson Monteiro - Chicago Fire
- Kansas City Wizards Acquire Partial Allocation, Draft Picks From Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Cristman Elevated to Revolution's Senior Roster - New England Revolution
- MLS Weekly Preview and Broadcast Info - MLS
- Esky Returns To Toronto - Toronto FC
- D.C. United acquires Jerson Monteiro from Chicago Fire - D.C. United
- Fire and Red Bulls Meet in Eastern Conference Clash Saturday - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire - Cruz Azul on October 10 Presented by Boost Mobile® - Chicago Fire
- Three Teams Could Clinch MLS Cup Playoff Berths This Weekend - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Minnesota United FC at Allianz Field Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires General and Targeted Allocation Money in Trade with Nashville SC
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Forward Gyasi Zardes to a Multi-Year Contract Extension
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Los Angeles Football Club at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Aboubacar Keita Receives International Call-Up for FIFA Under-20 Men's World Cup