Kernels Hold Dragons Scoreless for Third TimeMay 24, 2007 - Midwest League (MWL) - Dayton Dragons
After cruising through the first two innings, Dragons starter Anthony Gressick (LP, 2-2) ran into trouble in the third. In the frame, Gressick allowed four runs on six hits, all of which were singles. Chris Pettit had the biggest hit in the inning, as his single scored drove in two teammates.
The Kernels added another run in the fifth inning off Gressick, chasing him from the game. In just his second start of the season, Gressick went 4.1 innings, allowing five runs on eight hits, with no walks and six strikeouts. Of the eight hits off Gressick, only one went for extra bases, but the singles added up and the Dragons could not overcome the deficit.
That would be all the scoring as the Dragons were shut out for the third time in four games against Cedar Rapids. Kernels starter Sean O' Sullivan (WP, 3-3) was fantastic, shutting out the Dragons for 8.0 innings on just four hits, with six strikeouts and two walks. Aaron Cook (ND) got the final three out to preserve the shutout victory for Cedar Rapids.
The Dragons have now finished playing games in the state of Iowa for the first half of the season, and will stop in South Bend, Indiana for four games in two days. The back-to-back doubleheaders against the South Bend Silver Hawks at Coveleski Stadium begin Friday at 5:00 PM. The Dragons will give the ball to RHP Rafael Gonzalez (6-1, 2.64 ERA) in game one, while South Bend counters with RHP Tony Barnette (3-2, 3.19 ERA). Game two starters have not yet been announced. 1410 ESPN Radio WING AM will carry the game live beginning with the Dragons Pre Game Show at 4:30 PM. All Dragons games can also be heard live on the internet via All In Broadcasting at www.daytondragons.com.
Midwest League Stories from May 24, 2007
- Cougars Earn Split against Rattlers - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers Miss Opportunities - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bees Steal Series Finale from Loons - Burlington Bees
- Late Homer Caps Peoria's Comeback Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Series with Silver Hawks Features Unique Start Times - Dayton Dragons
- Swing Can't Solve Romero - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Atlantic 10 Tournament Triple Header at Fifth Third Field on Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Cody and Scram combine to stop Caps slide - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Fall Short in Ninth - Beloit Snappers
- Kernels Hold Dragons Scoreless for Third Time - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs To Honor Military On Memorial Day - Peoria Chiefs
- Fisher Lands on DL - Burlington Bees
- Fifth Third Ballpark to Host Five Day Carnival - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Parmelee's Blast Earns Snappers' Fan Some Serious Cash - Beloit Snappers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.