Z's Fall to I-Cubs 9-2
The Iowa Cubs wasted little time picking up where they left off on Saturday night, scoring five runs in the first three innings in a 9-2 win over the New Orleans Zephyrs on Sunday night.
Micah Hoffpauir went 4-for-4 with two doubles and four RBI for the I-Cubs, while Darwin Barney, Brad Snyder and Marquez Smith each notched multi-hit efforts.
The Cubs have now outscored the Zephyrs 22-4 through the first two games of the series.
Z's starter Rick VandenHurk fell to 4-4 on the year after allowing six runs on eight hits and three walks over five innings.
Jay Jackson (4-6) surrendered two runs on six hits over six innings to pick up the win for Iowa.
Three Zephyrs contributed multi-hit games, including Hector Luna, who extended his hit streak to 10 games with a 2-for-5 night.
Brett Carroll provided the lone runs for the Z's, launching a two-run homer off Jackson in the bottom of the third inning. The home run was the second for Carroll in the last three games.
The Z's and I-Cubs resume play tomorrow evening at 7:00 p.m., with Zephyrs righty Brian Lawrence (6-5, 4.35) opposing southpaw J.R. Mathes (6-5, 4.61) for the Cubs.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 27, 2010
- Round Rock Express Split at Nashville - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Beats Round Rock on Sunday Night, 8-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Fall to I-Cubs 9-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Defeat Sounds in Suspended Game Completion - Nashville Sounds
- Aces 9th Inning Rally Falls Short in 8-7 Loss - Reno Aces
- Sacramento Tops Tacoma for Fourth Consecutive Win - Sacramento River Cats
- De La Rosa Hurts Beavers with Arm, Bat in 5-2 Win - Portland Beavers
- De La Rosa, Sox Staff Spectacular in Second Rehab Start, Win 5-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rummel, UNO Star Diamond to Pitch Tuesday Vs. Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees to Observe Moment of Silence Prior to Today's Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Memphis holds off 'Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento tops Tacoma, climbs above .500 - Sacramento River Cats
- Beavers win series opener as teams combine for 36 hits - Portland Beavers
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Portland, 12-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.