Round Rock Express Split at Nashville
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Brian Esposito's grand slam keyed a seven-run eighth inning as the Round Rock Express defeated the Nashville Sounds 9-1 in the resumption of a suspended game Sunday evening at Herschel Greer Stadium. The Sounds (41-36) won Sunday's regularly schedule game 8-5 in seven innings. The series is tied one game apiece; however, the Express (35-43) lead the season series 7-3.
Wladimir Sutil's seventh-inning sacrifice fly snapped a 1-1 tie in the first game, which was suspended Saturday night with the Express leading 1-0 in the middle of the fourth inning. Nashville tied the game in the bottom of the sixth on Trent Oeltjen's solo homer. While Sutil's sacrifice fly was the game winner, it was the seven-run eighth that put the game out of reach. It matched the highest-scoring inning this season for the Express.
Drew Locke got the scoring started with a bases-loaded RBI single. After David Cook flied out, Esposito hit Round Rock's first grand slam of the season. Luis Maza capped the inning with a two-out, two-run homer.
Yorman Bazardo (2-1) picked up the victory in relief of Polin Trinidad, who tossed 3.0 scoreless innings on two hits with three strikeouts before the game was suspended Saturday night. Bazardo allowed a run on three hits and no walks with two strikeouts over 3.0 innings. Jonah Bayliss worked 2.0 scoreless innings before Roy Corcoran pitched a perfect ninth with two strikeouts.
Thomas Dillard (1-4) took the loss in relief of starter Chuck Lofgren, who allowed a run on two hits with two strikeouts over 4.0 innings Saturday night. Dillard surrendered Sutil's sacrifice fly, two hits and two walks with two strikeouts in 3.0 innings. Mitch Stetter allowed all seven runs in the eighth.
Sutil, Locke, Brian Bogusevic and Tommy Everidge all had two-hit games for the Express. Everidge's RBI double broke a scoreless tie in the top of the fourth before rains forced the suspension.
In the nightcap, Nashville took control of the game by scoring four runs on just two hits in the bottom of the second. Express starter T.J. Burton surrendered a solo homer to Joe Koshansky, a two-run single to Adam Stern and a bases-loaded walk to Brendan Katan. The Sounds pushed their lead to 6-0 in the fourth on Mat Gamel's sacrifice fly and Katin's solo homer.
Round Rock battled back with a four-run fifth. Bogusevic had an RBI single, and Everidge followed with a sacrifice fly. Locke capped the inning with a two-run single.
However, that was as close as the Express would get. Nashville plated two runs on three hits and a Round Rock error in the top of the sixth. Ramon Vazquez had an RBI double in the top of the seventh, but Round Rock could get no closer.
Mike McClendon (3-2) picked up the victory in relief, allowing one run on three hits and no walks with two strikeouts over 2.1 innings. Starter Chase Wright left the game with two outs in the fifth and yielded four runs on eight hits and four walks with four strikeouts.
Burton (0-3) took the loss; he allowed six runs on six hits and five walks with two strikeouts in 4.0 innings of work. Brad Thompson was touched for two runs, one earned, on three hits over 2.0 innings.
Bogusevic was 3-for-4 with two runs scored in the nightcap, one of five Express batters with at least two hits. Everidge, Locke, Vazquez and Drew Meyer all had two-hit games. Everidge, acquired by the Astros organization last week, has hit safely in all four games with the Express and each has been a multiple-hit outing.
Oeltjen, Stern, Katin and Koshansky all had two-hit games for the Sounds.
Round Rock and Nashville continue their four-game series Monday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch at Herschel Greer Stadium. Each team will send a southpaw to the mound; Andy Van Hekken (4-4, 3.72 ERA) starts for the Express, while Sam Narron (1-3, 3.97 ERA) starts for the Sounds.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 27, 2010
- Round Rock Express Split at Nashville - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Beats Round Rock on Sunday Night, 8-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Fall to I-Cubs 9-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Defeat Sounds in Suspended Game Completion - Nashville Sounds
- Aces 9th Inning Rally Falls Short in 8-7 Loss - Reno Aces
- Sacramento Tops Tacoma for Fourth Consecutive Win - Sacramento River Cats
- De La Rosa Hurts Beavers with Arm, Bat in 5-2 Win - Portland Beavers
- De La Rosa, Sox Staff Spectacular in Second Rehab Start, Win 5-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rummel, UNO Star Diamond to Pitch Tuesday Vs. Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees to Observe Moment of Silence Prior to Today's Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Memphis holds off 'Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento tops Tacoma, climbs above .500 - Sacramento River Cats
- Beavers win series opener as teams combine for 36 hits - Portland Beavers
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Portland, 12-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched
- Encore Drive-In Night Featuring Kane Brown Comes to Dell Diamond
- Make It a September to Remember at Dell Diamond