Beavers win series opener as teams combine for 36 hits
Colorado Springs, Colo. - Lance Zawadzki went 3-for-5 with four RBIs and Kyle Phillips hit a home run in his first at-bat with the team as the Portland Beavers beat the Colorado Springs Sky Sox 12-7 Saturday night at Security Service Field.
Sean Kazmar, Cedric Hunter, Zawadzki, and Phillips each tallied three hits as the Beavers (30-46) scored multiple runs in four innings.
Michael McKenry went 4-for-4 with two home runs and Brad Eldred hit his PCL-leading 19th and 20th home runs of the season as the Sky Sox (34-42) finished with 19 hits.
Josh Geer (5-6) gave up five runs on a season-high 13 hits in his fourth-straight win for the Beavers.
Sky Sox starter Greg Smith (0-1) pitched four innings, giving up a season-high nine runs on 11 hits in the loss.
The Beavers scored three runs in the second inning, highlighted by Phillips' two-run home run.
Colorado Springs rattled off four-straight hits to begin the bottom of the second inning and managed to cut the lead to 3-2 on an RBI single by McKenry.
Zawadzki hit a two-out RBI single to drive in the Beavers' second run of the third inning as Portland extended its lead to 5-2.
Zawadzki struck again with a three-run double and Phillips drove in his third run of the game in a four-run fifth inning to push the Beaver lead to 9-3.
Kazmar and Hunter each had RBI singles in the top of the eighth inning as the Beavers took a 12-5 lead.
The Beavers and Sky Sox meet again Sunday at 12:05 p.m. (Pacific) in the second of their four-game set at Security Service Field.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 27, 2010
- Round Rock Express Split at Nashville - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Beats Round Rock on Sunday Night, 8-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Fall to I-Cubs 9-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Defeat Sounds in Suspended Game Completion - Nashville Sounds
- Aces 9th Inning Rally Falls Short in 8-7 Loss - Reno Aces
- Sacramento Tops Tacoma for Fourth Consecutive Win - Sacramento River Cats
- De La Rosa Hurts Beavers with Arm, Bat in 5-2 Win - Portland Beavers
- De La Rosa, Sox Staff Spectacular in Second Rehab Start, Win 5-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rummel, UNO Star Diamond to Pitch Tuesday Vs. Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees to Observe Moment of Silence Prior to Today's Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Memphis holds off 'Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento tops Tacoma, climbs above .500 - Sacramento River Cats
- Beavers win series opener as teams combine for 36 hits - Portland Beavers
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Portland, 12-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss