Aces 9th Inning Rally Falls Short in 8-7 Loss
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - Brandon Allen's ninth-inning grand slam pulled Reno to within a run, but the Aces couldn't bring the tying run home Sunday afternoon, falling 8-7 to the Salt Lake Bees at Spring Mobile Ballpark.
Salt Lake scored six times over the game's first two innings to take an early 6-2 lead, and the Bees would remain in control for most of the afternoon. The Aces would come out firing in the ninth, though. Trailing 8-3 to begin the frame, the first three batters of the inning reached and Allen brought everyone home with a monster grand slam to right, bringing the score to 8-7.
Following Allen's blast, the Aces put the tying run on first, but three-straight strikeouts ended the ballgame.
Aces starter Bryan Augenstein (4-7) was pinned with the loss, surrendering seven runs-six earned-on eight hits over 4.2 innings of work. Saul Rivera allowed a run in 1.1 innings before Jason Urquidez and Luis Ayala each tossed a scoreless frame.
The win went to Salt Lake starter Marco Albano (3-6), who scattered two runs on six hits over five innings of work. Michael Kohn struck out the final three Aces hitters to earn his sixth save of the season.
Allen finished with three hits, two runs scored and five RBIs. Ed Roger singled twice, walked twice and was hit by a pitch to reach base five times. Doug Deeds and Carlos Corporan chipped-in two hits for Reno.
The Aces and Bees resume the series on Monday night from Spring Mobile Ballpark. RHP Kevin Mulvey (3-5, 4.83 ERA) will get the nod for the Aces, while the Bees are set to counter with RHP Tim Kiely (0-2, 14.90 ERA). First pitch is slated for 6:05 p.m. PT.
The Aces return home on the Fourth of July for a special 6:35 start against Sacramento. A limited number of Fourth of July tickets have just been released.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 27, 2010
- Round Rock Express Split at Nashville - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Beats Round Rock on Sunday Night, 8-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Fall to I-Cubs 9-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Defeat Sounds in Suspended Game Completion - Nashville Sounds
- Aces 9th Inning Rally Falls Short in 8-7 Loss - Reno Aces
- Sacramento Tops Tacoma for Fourth Consecutive Win - Sacramento River Cats
- De La Rosa Hurts Beavers with Arm, Bat in 5-2 Win - Portland Beavers
- De La Rosa, Sox Staff Spectacular in Second Rehab Start, Win 5-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rummel, UNO Star Diamond to Pitch Tuesday Vs. Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees to Observe Moment of Silence Prior to Today's Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Memphis holds off 'Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento tops Tacoma, climbs above .500 - Sacramento River Cats
- Beavers win series opener as teams combine for 36 hits - Portland Beavers
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Portland, 12-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.