De La Rosa Hurts Beavers with Arm, Bat in 5-2 Win
Colorado Springs, Colo. - Jorge De La Rosa gave up only one run on three hits in six innings while also driving in two runs at the plate to lead the Colorado Springs Sky Sox past the Portland Beavers 5-2 Sunday afternoon at Security Service Field.
De La Rosa (1-1) aided his strong performance on the mound with a two-out, two-run single in the fourth inning on his way to earning his first win of the season for the Sky Sox (35-42).
Mike Baxter finished with two hits, including the first Beavers inside-the-park home run since August 23, 2008, on a deep fly ball to right field.
Cole Garner and Travis Metcalf each had multiple hits as the Sky Sox totaled double-digit hits for the third-straight game against the Beavers (30-46).
Steve Garrison (1-1) pitched 5 1/3 innings, giving up five runs on nine hits while striking out five for the Beavers.
Garner scored after leading off the second inning with a triple to give the Sky Sox a 1-0 lead.
Lance Zawadzki drove in Baxter from second base with an RBI single to tie the game at 1-1 in the fourth inning.
Three straight two-out Sky Sox hits resulted in two runs and a 3-1 lead for Colorado Springs in the fourth inning.
The Sky Sox scored two more runs in the sixth inning, highlighted by an RBI single by Jay Payton.
The Beavers and Sky Sox meet again Monday at 6:05 p.m. (Pacific) in the third of their four-game set at Security Service Field.
NOTES: Garrison was transferred to Portland from Class A Lake Elsinore on Saturday.
Beavers Game File SUNDAY'S GAME: Colorado Springs 5, Beavers 2 WINNING PITCHER: De La Rosa (1-1) LOSING PITCHER: Garrison (1-1) SAVE: None HOME RUNS: Baxter (7) MONDAY'S GAME: Portland (Tim Stauffer: 0-0, 3.78) at Colorado Springs (Chaz Roe: 5-7, 5.61), 6:05 p.m. (Pacific), tape-delayed broadcast at 7 p.m. on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 27, 2010
- Round Rock Express Split at Nashville - Round Rock Express
- Nashville Beats Round Rock on Sunday Night, 8-5 - Nashville Sounds
- Z's Fall to I-Cubs 9-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Defeat Sounds in Suspended Game Completion - Nashville Sounds
- Aces 9th Inning Rally Falls Short in 8-7 Loss - Reno Aces
- Sacramento Tops Tacoma for Fourth Consecutive Win - Sacramento River Cats
- De La Rosa Hurts Beavers with Arm, Bat in 5-2 Win - Portland Beavers
- De La Rosa, Sox Staff Spectacular in Second Rehab Start, Win 5-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rummel, UNO Star Diamond to Pitch Tuesday Vs. Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees to Observe Moment of Silence Prior to Today's Game - Salt Lake Bees
- Memphis holds off 'Topes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sacramento tops Tacoma, climbs above .500 - Sacramento River Cats
- Beavers win series opener as teams combine for 36 hits - Portland Beavers
- Long Night for Sky Sox, Lose to Portland, 12-7 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss