Yard Goats Score Twice in 9th and Win 4-3
Manchester, NH - The Hartford Yard Goats scored two runs in the ninth inning and came from behind to defeat the New Hampshire Fisher Cats 4-3 on Friday night at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium in Manchester, New Hampshire. Hartford shortstop Scott Burcham ripped a two run double in the ninth inning, scoring Willie Abreu and Brian Serven, and helping the Yard Goats to their fifth win in seven games. Yard Goats starter Ashton Goudeau fired five scoreless innings and had five strikeouts as Harford had a 2-0 lead in the eighth inning. 3B Bret Boswell had three hits and drove in a run for the Yard Goats, who can win their third straight series with a victory tomorrow night.
The Yard Goats took a 2-0 lead when they scored a pair of runs off Fisher Cats starting pitcher Andrew Sopko in the third inning. Manny Melendez walked and then scored all the way from first base on a double by Bret Boswell, who hit a rocket over left fielder Nash Knight's head, giving Hartford a 1-0 lead. Alan Trejo then reached on a throwing error by shortstop Kevin Smith to put runners at the corners. Colton Welker followed with a run-scoring single, scoring Boswell and made it 2-0.
The Fisher Cats, who were held scoreless over the first seven innings made their move against the Yard Goats bullpen in the eighth inning. New Hampshire began the inning with a walk followed by a two base error. Former Yard Goat Forrest Wall then cracked a game tying two RBI single into right field. Later in the inning, Kevin Smith squeezed in the go-ahead run with a nice bunt.
However, the Yard Goats rallied in the top of the ninth inning. Willie Abreu walked and Brian Serven was hit by a pitch. Then, Scott Burcham smashed a double into the left field corner scoring both runners and giving the Yard Goats a 4-3 lead. Lefty Ben Bowden closed out the bottom of the ninth to earn his fourth save.
The Yard Goats play the rubber game of a three game series against the Fisher Cats on Saturday night at 6:35 PM in New Hampshire. The game will be broadcast on FM 97.9 ESPN, AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
April 19, 2019
Final: Hartford Yard Goats 4, New Hampshire Fisher Cats 3
WP: Logan Cozart (1-0)
LP: Ty Tice (0-2)
SV: Ben Bowden (4)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 19, 2019
- Thunder Hold off Furious Rally in 13-10 Win - Trenton Thunder
- Crazy Night, 'Dogs Fall 13-10 to Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Yard Goats Score Twice in 9th and Win 4-3 - Hartford Yard Goats
- SeaWolves and Rumble Ponies Postponed - Erie SeaWolves
- Ponies and SeaWolves Washed Away in Erie - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins and Senators Postponed - Reading Fightin Phils
- Senators and Reading Fightin Phils Postponed Friday Night - Harrisburg Senators
- RubberDucks-Baysox Postponed Friday; Doubleheader Saturday at 1:05 p.m. - Akron RubberDucks
- Flying Squirrels and Curve Postponed Friday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Severe Weather Postpones Curve, Flying Squirrels on Friday - Altoona Curve
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Binghamton Rumble Ponies - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 19th vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #11 - Rumble Ponies (5-4) at SeaWolves (7-4) - 6:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats Individual Game Tickets Go on Sale February 7th
- ESPN's Karl Ravech to Headline Yard Goats Hot Stove Luncheon
- Southington Native to Manage Yard Goats in 2020
- Yard Goats to Hold Dance Team Auditions Sunday at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats to Hold Dance Team Auditions