Yajure, Bullpen Blank Fightin Phils
Miguel Yajure and the Thunder bullpen combined on a five-hit shutout Saturday night, defeating the Reading Fightin Phils, 2-0, in front of a crowd of 7,189 at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Making just his second Double-A start, Yajure (1-0) worked around a one-out double by Mickey Moniak in the first inning and retired the next 10 batters in a row. The right-hander issued a two-out walk to Alec Bohm in the fourth but proceeded to retire 15 of 17 batters faced through five innings.
The Thunder (37-33, 75-61) scored both of the game's runs off Fightin Phils starter Julian Garcia (2-2). The Reading right-hander retired the first six Thunder batters of the game, but threw more than 20 pitches in both the third and fourth innings. Francisco Arcia lined an RBI-single to right field in the fourth to plate the game's first run, and Hoy Park added an RBI-single in the fifth that helped chase Garcia to an early exit.
Yajure ran into trouble in the sixth inning, allowing a pair of one-out singles. But he induced a fielder's choice grounder from rehabbing Phillies outfielder Jay Bruce before turning the game over to Will Carter, who struck out Alec Bohm to end the threat.
In the top of the seventh, the Fightin Phils (40-30, 79-58) loaded the bases with one out against Carter on a bloop double, a walk, and a single. Carter, however, recovered to strike out two batters to escape the jam.
James Reeves and Daniel Alvarez each pitched a scoreless inning behind Carter, with Alvarez earning his 21st save.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Sunday at 7 p.m. against the Fightin Phils. RHP Shawn Semple (0-3, 5.58) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Connor Seabold (2-1, 2.18) will go for Bowie. Pregame coverage begins at 6:40 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Squirrels Win in Extras, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Down Ducks and Stay Alive in the West - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Tie Series with 2-0 Shutout - Reading Fightin Phils
- Morgan Can't Lift RubberDucks out of Rut - Akron RubberDucks
- Yajure, Bullpen Blank Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats Drop Road Contest in Binghamton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Squirrels Beat Baysox Behind Bart's Walk-Off Double - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 11-Run Seventh Carries Senators - Harrisburg Senators
- Harrisburg Scores 11 in Seventh to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Lee Dominates as Ponies Defeat Goats Again - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Mata Fans a Career-High 9 as 'Dogs Beat 'Cats 2-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 31st vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #138: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (30-42, 65-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-34, 72-64) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Fight Back to Earn 5-3 Win - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2020 Thunder Season Canceled Due to COVID-19
- Update from the Trenton Thunder
- Individual Tickets on Sale Thursday, Promotional Schedule Revealed for 2020 Season
- Swing into 2020 with New Entertainment Suite at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Name Revealed for 4th Generation of Thunder Bat Dog Tradition