Morgan Can't Lift RubberDucks out of Rut
The Akron RubberDucks dropped their sixth straight game, this time by a score of 4-1 to the Erie SeaWolves, which squandered a quality start from Eli Morgan Saturday night at Canal Park.
The Erie SeaWolves broke open the game with a Isaac Paredes three-run home run over the left field fence off Robert Broom to give Erie the 4-1 lead. That lead would be enough as the RubberDucks could not muster enough offense for a comeback.
Akron RubberDucks starter Eli Morgan battled through six strong innings of work against the Erie SeaWolves, allowing just one earned run on seven hits and no walks. The only trouble that Morgan faced came in the top of the fifth inning when Cam Gibson doubled to lead off the inning to right field, and the damage came when Isaac Paredes chopped a groundball into right field past the shifted Akron infield to make the score 1-0 Erie. The Akron bullpen, however, gave up three runs in relief of Morgan on an Isaac Paredes home run in the top of the seventh inning, giving Erie the 4-1 lead.
The RubberDucks offense again struggled against a solid pitching effort from Erie SeaWolves starter Joey Wentz. Wentz struck out the RubberDucks 13 times Saturday night and only allowed four hits through 5.1 innings. Nolan Jones was one of the few bright spots for the RubberDucks as he reached base safely on all four of his plate appearances, collecting three hits and a walk, including a leadoff double in the bottom of the sixth when he came around to score on an Andruw Monasterio RBI groundout to even the score at 1-1. The other production at the plate came from Trenton Brooks who singled and Alex Call who doubled, to give the RubberDucks a total of five hits.
With 13 strikeouts tonight, the RubberDucks matched their season-long streak of strikeouts, having struck out 40 times over the past three games, which matches the longest such streak since April 8th-10th with 31 strikouts ... With their sixth loss in a row tonight, the Ducks have tied their longest skid of the season, and longest since April 4th-April 9th where the Ducks lost the first six games of the season ... Nolan Jones reached base safely on all four trips to the plate tonight which buoyed his batting average to .256, his highest mark since August 3rd ... Time of Game: 2:51... Attendance: 8,327 (8th largest crowd in Canal Park history)
On the Pond
The RubberDucks play their final night game of the 2019 season at Canal Park, as they take on the Erie SeaWolves Sunday night at 6:05 p.m. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App. RHP Kyle Dowdy will take the ball for the RubberDucks as they try to spoil the SeaWolves' playoff hopes.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Squirrels Win in Extras, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Down Ducks and Stay Alive in the West - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Tie Series with 2-0 Shutout - Reading Fightin Phils
- Morgan Can't Lift RubberDucks out of Rut - Akron RubberDucks
- Yajure, Bullpen Blank Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats Drop Road Contest in Binghamton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Squirrels Beat Baysox Behind Bart's Walk-Off Double - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 11-Run Seventh Carries Senators - Harrisburg Senators
- Harrisburg Scores 11 in Seventh to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Lee Dominates as Ponies Defeat Goats Again - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Mata Fans a Career-High 9 as 'Dogs Beat 'Cats 2-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 31st vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #138: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (30-42, 65-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-34, 72-64) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Fight Back to Earn 5-3 Win - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Safe, Socially-Distanced Watch Party for St. Vincent-St. Mary vs. Archbishop Hoban Football Game September 25
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther
- Akron RubberDucks to Host First Movie Night of 2020 at Canal Park September 5
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Women in Sports Panel September 2