Squirrels Beat Baysox Behind Bart's Walk-Off Double
RICHMOND, Va. - Trailing, 2-1, with one out in the 10th inning, Joey Bart hit a two-run, walk-off double to give the Richmond Flying Squirrels the win, 3-2, over the Bowie Baysox on Saturday at The Diamond.
Bryce Johnson started the bottom of the 10th inning at second base as the placed runner and moved to second base after Johneshwy Fargas was hit by a pitch. After Jay Flaa (Loss, 0-2) struck out Jalen Miller, he allowed Bart to double down the left-field line to plate Johnson and Fargas and give Richmond (53-84, 30-40) the win.
It was the 22nd extra-inning game for the Flying Squirrels, extending the single-season franchise record. Bart's double gave Richmond its seventh walk-off win of the season.
Bowie (76-62, 46-24) scored in the top of the 10th against Jaime Callahan (Win, 1-0) on an RBI single by Cedric Mullins to take a 2-1 lead.
The Flying Squirrels scored first, plating a run in the second inning on a bases-loaded walk by Johnson. Bowie countered with a run in the fourth when Mason McCoy doubled and later scored on an RBI single by Preston Palmeiro.
Sean Hjelle allowed one run on seven hits while striking out two and walking two in his final start of the season. Dylan Davis retired all six batters he faced in his Double-A debut on the mound.
The Flying Squirrels continue their series against the Bowie Baysox on Saturday when right-hander Sean Hjelle (1-2, 7.08 ERA) faces right-hander Cody Sedlock (1-2, 4.20 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. and coverage begins with the Flying Squirrels Pregame Warmup at 6:35 p.m. on Sports Radio 910 the Fan and 105.1 FM.
As part of the 10 memorable past players series, the first 1,000 fans 14 and younger to arrive at The Diamond will receive a pair of black-rimmed glasses in honor of the specs major league infielder Kelby Tomlinson became known for during his time with the Flying Squirrels, presented by Bolt. Gates open at 5 p.m.
Fans can enjoy themed contests and other sorcery is on tap as part of Wizarding Night in Funnville. Enjoy a spectacular dueling fireworks show following a special Sunday night home game to cap off the final Squirrel Tails Kids Club game of the season.
Every Sunday in Funnville, families are invited down to the field to play catch in the outfield from 5:15-5:35 PM presented by Nesquik. Fans can enter the field through the Section 107-108 field gate near the first base dugout.
Kids 14 and younger can run the bases following Friday and Sunday home games in Funnville presented by Richmond Family Magazine. Kids wanting to run the bases are asked the line up at the Section 107-108 field gate near the first base dugout at the conclusion of the game.
For tickets or more information, call 804-359-3866 (FUNN), visit SquirrelsBaseball.com/Tickets or stop by the Flying Squirrels box office.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Squirrels Win in Extras, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Down Ducks and Stay Alive in the West - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Tie Series with 2-0 Shutout - Reading Fightin Phils
- Morgan Can't Lift RubberDucks out of Rut - Akron RubberDucks
- Yajure, Bullpen Blank Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats Drop Road Contest in Binghamton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Squirrels Beat Baysox Behind Bart's Walk-Off Double - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 11-Run Seventh Carries Senators - Harrisburg Senators
- Harrisburg Scores 11 in Seventh to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Lee Dominates as Ponies Defeat Goats Again - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Mata Fans a Career-High 9 as 'Dogs Beat 'Cats 2-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 31st vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #138: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (30-42, 65-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-34, 72-64) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Fight Back to Earn 5-3 Win - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Richmond Flying Squirrels Stories
- Name Submissions for New Flying Squirrels, COTU Beer Now Open
- Flying Squirrels, VMHC Present "Hamilton Arrives" at the Diamond on November 16
- Flying Squirrels Nominated for Top MiLB Award
- Parney Named Eastern League Executive of the Year
- Bart Named Eastern League Player of the Week