Yard Goats Drop Road Contest in Binghamton
Binghamton, NY - The Binghamton Rumble Ponies scored a pair of runs in the fourth and seventh innings, and cruised behind former Major League pitcher Zach Lee to beat the Hartford Yard Goats 4-1 on Saturday night at NYSEG Stadium in Binghamton, New York. Hartford's only run came on a solo home run by Vance Vizcaino, his seventh of the season. Lee, who pitched for the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego Padres fired seven scoreless innings with eight strikeouts to improve to 5-1. He retired 14 consecutive batters from the second through seventh innings.
The Rumble Ponies took a 2-0 lead with two runs in the fourth inning against Hartford starter Matt Dennis. Jeremy Vasquez singled and went to third David Thompson's double. Vasquez scored on a throwing error by third baseman Bret Boswell giving Binghamton a 1-0 lead. The Rumble Ponies made it 2-0 on Austin Bossart's sacrifice fly.
Binghamton added to its lead with two more runs in the seventh against reliever Justin Lawrence. Eduardo Fermin doubled home Body Bohanek to make it 3-0 and Luis Carpio single in Fermin to give the Rumble Ponies a 4-0 lead.
Meanwhile, Ponies starter Zach Lee controlled the game after escaping a first and second one-out situation in the first inning. He retired 14 straight Yard Goats, including the side in order in the third, fourth, five and sixth before Vince Fernandez singled in the seventh. Lee ended up with six strikeouts.
Vance Vizcaino cranked a line drive homer over the right field fence to make it a 4-1 game in the eighth inning. The homer, his seventh of the season, came off Rumble Ponies reliever Joshua Torres.
The Yard Goats play the third game of the four game weekend series on Sunday night (6:35 PM) in Binghamton, New York. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
August 31, 2019
Final: Binghamton Rumble Ponies 4, Hartford Yard Goats 1
WP: Zach Lee (5-1)
LP: Matt Dennis (5-4)
Overall Record: 72-65
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Squirrels Win in Extras, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- SeaWolves Down Ducks and Stay Alive in the West - Erie SeaWolves
- Thunder Tie Series with 2-0 Shutout - Reading Fightin Phils
- Morgan Can't Lift RubberDucks out of Rut - Akron RubberDucks
- Yajure, Bullpen Blank Fightin Phils - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats Drop Road Contest in Binghamton - Hartford Yard Goats
- Squirrels Beat Baysox Behind Bart's Walk-Off Double - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 11-Run Seventh Carries Senators - Harrisburg Senators
- Harrisburg Scores 11 in Seventh to Beat Curve - Altoona Curve
- Lee Dominates as Ponies Defeat Goats Again - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Mata Fans a Career-High 9 as 'Dogs Beat 'Cats 2-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron RubberDucks - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 31st vs. New Hampshire - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #138: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (30-42, 65-72) vs. Hartford Yard Goats (35-34, 72-64) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Baysox Fight Back to Earn 5-3 Win - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- "Links at the Yard" Golf Event Returns to Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Informed by Minor League Baseball That 2020 Season Is Canceled
- Team Israel to Play at Dunkin' Donuts Park this July
- Yard Goats Installing Additional Netting at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce FanFest at Dunkin' Donuts Park