Xplorers look to make franchise history in final home game this Saturday
SOUTHAVEN, MS- The Memphis Xplorers of af2, closing in on the first playoff berth in team history, host the Macon Knights this Saturday night at 7:05 pm at the DeSoto Civic Center, in their final home game of the regular season.
The Xplorers (8-6), who guaranteed themselves no worse than a .500 record with their 64-46 win last weekend versus the Arkansas Twisters, can clinch a playoff berth with either a victory over the Knights or a loss by the Columbus Wardogs in their game.
Memphis can also clinch the first winning season in franchise history with a victory. The closest the Xplorers have gotten to that mark in their three previous years was 6 wins, set by last years team.
Xplorers head coach Danton Barto says that making the playoffs would be a great accomplishment, but that his team cant afford to start looking past the next game.
Weve got one task that we care about right now, and thats beating Macon this weekend, said Barto. Well worry about the playoffs when we get there.
Saturdays game is the last regular-season home game for the Xplorers this year, and could be the last home game, period --- even if the Xplorers make the playoffs. Memphis currently stands in 6th place in the conference standings, which is good enough for a playoff berth but would mean that the Xplorers would be on the road for the duration of the playoffs themselves. Regardless, the Xplorers are looking forward to giving their fans a good show in this weekends game.
Our fans have been great this year, said Barto. Theyve been a huge part of our successes so far, and hopefully we can show our appreciation with a victory this Saturday.
This weekends game is Fitzgeralds Casino night at the DeSoto Civic Center. Among the highlights of the evening will be a special edition of Fling-a-football, the fun and exciting game where fans attempt to land a small nerf football on a target at midfield. This week, the winner of the Fling-a-football contest will take home half of the proceeds from the contest, with the other half being donated to a local charity.
Game time is set for 7:05 PM CST, with the doors opening at approximately 6:00 PM. All sixteen regular season Xplorers football games will be heard throughout the Mid-South on SportsPlus 790 WMC, and worldwide on SportsJuice.com. In addition, all home games will be broadcast on X-Cast, a special in-house radio broadcast designed specifically for the DeSoto Civic Center. X-Cast airs on 107.9 FM, and can be received while in the DeSoto Civic Center by using a walkman or other personal radio. Fans can also watch the Xplorers during selected games during the season on AF2TV.com, which offers live streaming video and audio on a pay-per-view basis.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 20, 2004
- Bucks & Law To Help With What-A-Nite, Bucks Will Auction Night With Presidents Cup - Laredo Law
- Hawaiian Islanders game notes - Hawaiian Islanders
- Wichita Stealth game notes - Wichita Stealth
- Stealth Name New Starting Quarterback - Wichita Stealth
- Results are in for Blitz charity events - Bakersfield Blitz
- Gorrie, Morant Win arenafootball2 Co-Ironmen of the Week - Florida Firecats
- Green Bay Blizzard game notes - Green Bay Blizzard
- Wolves defensive specialist Rob Carey named ADT Defensive Player of the Week - Manchester Wolves
- Bucks & Law Out & About - Laredo Law
- Shawn Withy-Allen named af2 Offensive Player of the Week - Hawaiian Islanders
- Withy-Allen, Morant, Gorrie and Carey take Week 16 honors - af2
- Xplorers look to make franchise history in final home game this Saturday - Memphis Xplorers
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Fire Player Tony Stallings Stars in Reality Show - Louisville Fire
- Pioneers to host season ticket holder tailgate party - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- East Greenbush native Eddie K to hit stage with Montgomery Gentry - Albany Firebirds
- Xplorers to spotlight Sexual Assault Center at game - Memphis Xplorers