Results are in for Blitz charity events
Bakersfield, Calif. The Bakersfield Blitz of the af2 earned themselves a playoff berth with their 45-19 victory over the Central Valley Coyotes on Saturday night at Centennial Garden. But the Blitz werent the only winners on the night.
The game featured the first ever Foam Football Fling. Fans were encouraged to bring a foam football to the game, and when the Blitz scored their first touchdown of the night, throw them onto the field. The purpose of the event was to collect toys for the youth at the Bakersfield Police Activities League. When Offensive Specialist Steve Wofford bounced into the end zone early in the second quarter of the game, the footballs came raining down from the stands. A total of 279 foam balls were collected through the event.
Throughout the night on the concourse of the arena, the team held a silent auction for charity of last seasons Blitz game worn jerseys. The jerseys fetched $1,850 with QB (and that nights bobblehead doll subject) Chad Elliotts jersey bringing the highest bid of $175. The proceeds will be split between two organizations: the Epilepsy Society through the Haylees Hope program (established for Blitz Coach Paul Press daughter Haylee) and the Center for Craniofacial Disorders, an organization founded in part by Blitz Owner Jonathan Fleisig.
The Foam Football Fling was pretty cool, said Blitz GM Chris Freshour. Hopefully weve started a new tradition here in Bakersfield that can continue on to upcoming seasons. Were happy to help out through the jersey auction as well. These are two organizations that really hit home with us.
This weekend the Blitz will attempt to lock up the West Division Title, which they can do with a victory on the road in San Diego this Saturday. Game time is 7:00pm. They return home for the final game of the regular season on Saturday, July 31st against the Hawaiian Islanders. The first 2,000 fans that night will receive a Blitz full-size football, courtesy of KGET-TV 17 and Stinsons.
All Blitz games, home and away, can be heard on KGEO AM 1230 with the Voice of the Blitz Kevin Bartl. Countdown to Kickoff begins 15 minutes prior to the start of the game.
Group outings for the Blitz are on sale now by contacting the Blitz office at 716-BLITZ (2548) or by stopping by the Bakersfield Sports Entertainment office located at Centennial Garden. The Garden box office is open Monday through Friday 10:00am 5:00pm and opens at noon on Saturday. For up-to-date information on the Blitz log on to www.bakersfieldblitz.com.
Extra Points: Blitz OL/DL Kevin Carroll will not miss any further time from suspension stemming from his ejection from last Saturdays game against Central Valley. Catfish received his unsportsmanlike conduct/ejection along with Coyotes OL/DL Sandy Pua late in the first half of the 45-19 victory. At the time of his departure, Carroll had two sacks already and has climbed to fourth in the league with 7.5 sacks on the season.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 20, 2004
- Bucks & Law To Help With What-A-Nite, Bucks Will Auction Night With Presidents Cup - Laredo Law
- Hawaiian Islanders game notes - Hawaiian Islanders
- Wichita Stealth game notes - Wichita Stealth
- Stealth Name New Starting Quarterback - Wichita Stealth
- Results are in for Blitz charity events - Bakersfield Blitz
- Gorrie, Morant Win arenafootball2 Co-Ironmen of the Week - Florida Firecats
- Green Bay Blizzard game notes - Green Bay Blizzard
- Wolves defensive specialist Rob Carey named ADT Defensive Player of the Week - Manchester Wolves
- Bucks & Law Out & About - Laredo Law
- Shawn Withy-Allen named af2 Offensive Player of the Week - Hawaiian Islanders
- Withy-Allen, Morant, Gorrie and Carey take Week 16 honors - af2
- Xplorers look to make franchise history in final home game this Saturday - Memphis Xplorers
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Fire Player Tony Stallings Stars in Reality Show - Louisville Fire
- Pioneers to host season ticket holder tailgate party - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- East Greenbush native Eddie K to hit stage with Montgomery Gentry - Albany Firebirds
- Xplorers to spotlight Sexual Assault Center at game - Memphis Xplorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.