Gorrie, Morant Win arenafootball2 Co-Ironmen of the Week
Estero, FL- The Florida Firecats are extremely excited to announce that fullback/linebackers Steve Gorrie and Chris Morant have won the arenafootball2 U.S. Army Co-Ironmen of the Week Award.
Steve Gorrie and Chris Morant, who combine as the number one rushing attack in the af2, had incredible games last Saturday, leading the way for a 67-17 victory over the Laredo Law.
Gorrie ran for 26 yards and two touchdowns on seven carries last Saturday. Gorrie, the af2s leading rusher, brought his season total to 447 yards, which broke the former af2 single season rushing record. Gorrie is on pace to run for over 500 yards. Gorrie has 15 touchdowns via the turf this season. On the defensive side of the ball, Gorrie had two solo stops, one for a loss. This will be the second time that Gorrie has taken af2 Ironman of the Week honors. He also won the award in Week 5.
Morant carried the ball six times for 17 yards in last Saturdays win, and he cashed in two of those carries for six points. Morant also had a 34-yard kickoff return. On the defensive side of the ball, Morant had five tackles (four solo stops), one tackle for a loss, and a quarterback hurry. Morant also returned a field goal blocked by Comone Fisher 20 yards to the Firecat end zone, giving him three touchdowns on the night. Morant currently leads the af2 in tackles for a loss (10.5), and he is sixth in rushing with 173 yards.
Gorrie and Morant are the first teammates to share a weekly af2 award in over two years. In Week 3 of the 2002 season, Tim Lester and Russell Copeland of the Memphis Xplorers shared a weekly award. The last time that two players shared a weekly accolade was in Week 15 of the 2002 season when Quad Citys Brent Browner and Cape Fears E.J. Burt won Co-Defensive Players of the Week.
The Firecats now hold their own fate. With a win this weekend over Columbus and a loss by Birmingham to Peoria, the Firecats will win the American South Division. If the Firecats win their last two games, they will take a number two seed into the playoffs, which would give them a first round bye and a second round home playoff game. The Firecats have never hosted a playoff game before.
Next Monday, when the Firecats take on the Columbus Wardogs in Georgia, Bulwinkles Bar and Grill will be the official home of all Firecats fans when they broadcast the game live via Dave Parks and ESPN 770 AM. Bulwinkles is located on Highway 41across from Jamaica Bay.
The Firecats return home for the regular season finale against the Tennessee Valley Vipers on Saturday, July 31. Gates open at 6:30, and kickoff is set for 7:40. Call today to reserve your seats! All you have to do is call (239) 390-2287 today!
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 20, 2004
- Bucks & Law To Help With What-A-Nite, Bucks Will Auction Night With Presidents Cup - Laredo Law
- Hawaiian Islanders game notes - Hawaiian Islanders
- Wichita Stealth game notes - Wichita Stealth
- Stealth Name New Starting Quarterback - Wichita Stealth
- Results are in for Blitz charity events - Bakersfield Blitz
- Gorrie, Morant Win arenafootball2 Co-Ironmen of the Week - Florida Firecats
- Green Bay Blizzard game notes - Green Bay Blizzard
- Wolves defensive specialist Rob Carey named ADT Defensive Player of the Week - Manchester Wolves
- Bucks & Law Out & About - Laredo Law
- Shawn Withy-Allen named af2 Offensive Player of the Week - Hawaiian Islanders
- Withy-Allen, Morant, Gorrie and Carey take Week 16 honors - af2
- Xplorers look to make franchise history in final home game this Saturday - Memphis Xplorers
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Fire Player Tony Stallings Stars in Reality Show - Louisville Fire
- Pioneers to host season ticket holder tailgate party - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- East Greenbush native Eddie K to hit stage with Montgomery Gentry - Albany Firebirds
- Xplorers to spotlight Sexual Assault Center at game - Memphis Xplorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.