Florida beats Kentucky
Estero -FL, The arenafotball2 (af2) Florida Firecats defeated the Kentucky Horsemen 67-39 at home in a must win game to qualify for the playoffs. Florida (7-9) has now qualified for the post-season eight years in a row, tied for the second longest streak in the af2. Kentucky dropped to 10-6 on the year. Florida took the series 2-1 this year, with the home team winning each contest.
Quarterback Justin Midgett won his first game as a starter for the Firecats. He finished the night 16 of 28 tossing for 194 yards six touchdowns and four interceptions. He also ran in a touchdown. His favorite target on the night was Magic Benton who led all receivers with eight receptions for 91 yards and two scores. Fullback Brandon Isaiah provided a boost on the ground rushing for 56 yards on ten carries and two touchdowns.
The Firecats defense was the star of the night forcing four horsemen turnovers including three interceptions by Kentucky QB Justin Rascati. The defensive linemen recorded two sacks and hampered the Horsemen signal callers all night. Terrance Chapman recovered a high snap for a touchdown late in the 3rd quarter that sealed the game.
Rascati replaced injured QB Jared Lorenzen in the 2nd quarter and finished with 211 yards and three touchdowns. Harry Lewis proved to be the most dangerous horse in the stable with eight catches for 64 yards and one touchdown.
The Firecats qualified for the playoffs based upon their 7-9 final record. The af2 will issue the final playoff bracket on Monday July 27th at 1pm EDT.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 25, 2009
- Shock close out regular season with a close win over Boise, 56-51 - Spokane Shock
- Barnstormers Climb to #2 Seed - Iowa Barnstormers
- Dorados pull away in second quarter in route to 78-51 win - Corpus Christi Sharks
- BattleWings Topple Twisters 64-50 - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Amarillo drops finale 63-42 - Amarillo Venom
- Florida beats Kentucky - Florida Firecats
- Thunder hang tough before falling to Blizzard in season finale - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Florida Firecats Issue Statement On Future Of The Organization - Florida Firecats
- Lightning enter ArenaCup Playoffs on winning note, eliminate Peoria - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.