Barnstormers Climb to #2 Seed
Des Moines, IA - The Iowa Barnstormers continued their winning ways with a 63-59 victory over the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz before a Wellmark Field crowd of 10,516 on Saturday night. The victory, combined with a loss by Tennessee Valley means that the Barnstormers (12-4) enter the 2009 af2 playoffs as the American Conference's #2 seed.
The Barnstormers opened the scoring quickly as DE Brent Curvey forced a fumble that was recovered in the Oklahoma City end zone, giving Iowa an early 7-0 lead. The teams traded scores on each of their next two possessions, resulting in a 21-14 Iowa lead at the end of the 1st quarter. The second quarter saw each team score only once, as the Barnstormers retained a 7 point half-time lead 28-21.
Iowa came out strong in the second half as QB Brian Villanueva connected with WR's Errick McCown and Dusty Kain to increase the Barnstormers lead to 42-27. However, Oklahoma City responded forcing two Villanueva interceptions which led to two quick touchdowns, narrowing the Iowa lead to 42-41 at the end of three quarters. After falling behind early in the fourth quarter the Barnstormers rallied with a Villanueva touchdown pass to WR Tim Dodge followed by a TD run by FB J.J. Payne. Curvey sealed the victory for Iowa, recovering a fumble deep in Oklahoma City territory and returning it for Iowa's final points of the night. The victory was Iowa's season-high fifth straight.
Iowa will open the post-season with a home game Friday, July 31. Kick-off is scheduled for 7:05pm. The official 2009 af2 playoff bracket will be release this Monday, July 27 at 12:00pm CST. Great seats are still available for as low as $14.00 per seat. To order your tickets call the Barnstormers at 515.633.2255, head to the arena box office or log on to www.theiowabarnstormers.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 25, 2009
- Shock close out regular season with a close win over Boise, 56-51 - Spokane Shock
- Barnstormers Climb to #2 Seed - Iowa Barnstormers
- Dorados pull away in second quarter in route to 78-51 win - Corpus Christi Sharks
- BattleWings Topple Twisters 64-50 - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Amarillo drops finale 63-42 - Amarillo Venom
- Florida beats Kentucky - Florida Firecats
- Thunder hang tough before falling to Blizzard in season finale - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Florida Firecats Issue Statement On Future Of The Organization - Florida Firecats
- Lightning enter ArenaCup Playoffs on winning note, eliminate Peoria - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Barnstormers Stories
- Barnstormers Clinch Playoff Berth in Wild Victory over Steamwheelers
- Barnstormers Roll Through River Kings, 41-18
- Game Preview: Iowa Barnstormers at Sioux Falls Storm
- Iowa Stays Undefeated in Nail-Biter Victory over Cedar Rapids
- Game Preview: Barnstormers vs. River Kings