Barnstormers Climb to #2 Seed
Des Moines, IA - The Iowa Barnstormers continued their winning ways with a 63-59 victory over the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz before a Wellmark Field crowd of 10,516 on Saturday night. The victory, combined with a loss by Tennessee Valley means that the Barnstormers (12-4) enter the 2009 af2 playoffs as the American Conference's #2 seed.
The Barnstormers opened the scoring quickly as DE Brent Curvey forced a fumble that was recovered in the Oklahoma City end zone, giving Iowa an early 7-0 lead. The teams traded scores on each of their next two possessions, resulting in a 21-14 Iowa lead at the end of the 1st quarter. The second quarter saw each team score only once, as the Barnstormers retained a 7 point half-time lead 28-21.
Iowa came out strong in the second half as QB Brian Villanueva connected with WR's Errick McCown and Dusty Kain to increase the Barnstormers lead to 42-27. However, Oklahoma City responded forcing two Villanueva interceptions which led to two quick touchdowns, narrowing the Iowa lead to 42-41 at the end of three quarters. After falling behind early in the fourth quarter the Barnstormers rallied with a Villanueva touchdown pass to WR Tim Dodge followed by a TD run by FB J.J. Payne. Curvey sealed the victory for Iowa, recovering a fumble deep in Oklahoma City territory and returning it for Iowa's final points of the night. The victory was Iowa's season-high fifth straight.
Iowa will open the post-season with a home game Friday, July 31. Kick-off is scheduled for 7:05pm. The official 2009 af2 playoff bracket will be release this Monday, July 27 at 12:00pm CST. Great seats are still available for as low as $14.00 per seat. To order your tickets call the Barnstormers at 515.633.2255, head to the arena box office or log on to www.theiowabarnstormers.com.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 25, 2009
- Shock close out regular season with a close win over Boise, 56-51 - Spokane Shock
- Barnstormers Climb to #2 Seed - Iowa Barnstormers
- Dorados pull away in second quarter in route to 78-51 win - Corpus Christi Sharks
- BattleWings Topple Twisters 64-50 - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Amarillo drops finale 63-42 - Amarillo Venom
- Florida beats Kentucky - Florida Firecats
- Thunder hang tough before falling to Blizzard in season finale - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Florida Firecats Issue Statement On Future Of The Organization - Florida Firecats
- Lightning enter ArenaCup Playoffs on winning note, eliminate Peoria - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.