Amarillo drops finale 63-42
Tulsa, OK 7/25/09 - In their final game of the 2009 season, your Amarillo Dusters came up short, falling to the Tulsa Talons 63-42 in the BOK Center Saturday night.
Tulsa dominated the first quarter, outscoring the Dusters 14-0. Wide receiver JEFF HUGHLEY began his tear with two touchdown catches, one for 3 yards and another for 8 yards.
The Dusters would find pay dirt in the second frame, as defensive back KENDRICK WALKER stripped wide receiver Jeff Hughley and ran back the fumble for a score. After another Hughley touchdown catch in the ensuing Talons drive, Dusters wide receiver ALEX WATSON would earn his 25th touchdown on the season with only 27 seconds remaining in the first half. As the clock wound down, Tulsa quarterback JUSTIN ALLGOOD would toss a 19-yard pass to wide receiver CARLESE FRANKLIN with only eight seconds remaining in the half. His fourth touchdown throw of the game, Allgood tied of the af2's single-season touchdown throwing record (106 touchdown throws). The halftime score, Tulsa 28 Amarillo 14.
Allgood would brake the record at the beginning of the third quarter, throwing a 12-yard pass to Carlese Franklin. Amarillo would receive touchdown contributions from wide receiver DUVAUGHN FLAGLER and quarterback JULIAN REESE to pull Amarillo within 14. 42-28 Tulsa after three quarters.
The Talons would pull away in the fourth, behind touchdown catches from Jeff Hughley and Carlese Franklin. Amarillo would add on two scores, one from DuVaughn Flagler and another from fullback CARLOS DOWNEY.
Tulsa finished the 2009 regular season undefeated at home, claiming the second seed in the af2's National Conference playoff bracket.
Season show seats are available now! Catch the thrill of Amarillo Dusters football all season long in 2010 by contacting the Dusters office at 806-350-PASS.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 25, 2009
- Shock close out regular season with a close win over Boise, 56-51 - Spokane Shock
- Barnstormers Climb to #2 Seed - Iowa Barnstormers
- Dorados pull away in second quarter in route to 78-51 win - Corpus Christi Sharks
- BattleWings Topple Twisters 64-50 - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
- Amarillo drops finale 63-42 - Amarillo Venom
- Florida beats Kentucky - Florida Firecats
- Thunder hang tough before falling to Blizzard in season finale - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Florida Firecats Issue Statement On Future Of The Organization - Florida Firecats
- Lightning enter ArenaCup Playoffs on winning note, eliminate Peoria - Stockton Lightning
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.