Powell Grabs af2 Cutters Catch of the Week
BAKERSFIELD, CA - Bakersfield Blitz WR/LB Josh Powell (San Jose State, '06) has been awarded the arenafootball2 Cutters Catch of the Week for one of the amazing catches he made in Week 17 against the Stockton Lightning.
Powell, a Bakersfield native, won the award for a 35-yard, one-handed, touchdown catch he made with 7:27 left in the first quarter to put the Blitz on the board for the first time that night.
In total, Powell caught 13 passes for 126 yards and 4 touchdowns in the 50-36 win over Stockton. In addition to having the Cutters Catch of the Game, the rookie was selected as the Schutt Offensive Player of the Game.
"We call that beast ball,'" Powell told reporters after the game. "Throw it up and let me go after it." Obviously that strategy worked well for Bakersfield with three of the 6'3", 220 lb player's scores coming on jump-ball situations.
In two games this season, Powell, a 2001 graduate from Ridgeview High School, has 19 receptions for 182 yards and 5 touchdowns.
The Blitz (6-9) will conclude the 2007 season this Saturday, July 28th when they travel north on Highway 99 to take on the Central Valley Coyotes (9-6) at Selland Arena in Fresno, CA. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from July 25, 2007
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- First Annual Car Show Coming This Saturday - Stockton Lightning
- Powell Grabs af2 Cutters Catch of the Week - Bakersfield Blitz
- Thursday Night Matchup - af2
- Lubbock Native Joins Renegades as Two Suspended - Lubbock Renegades
- E-Blitz Newsletter - Bakersfield Blitz
- Yard Dawgz Get Locked-Up for Good - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Pioneers Top Final Coaches Poll - af2
- Fire Game Notes - Louisville Fire
- Thunder Game Notes - Mahoning Valley Thunder
- Coach Rich Ingold One Win Away From History - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- ArenaCup Group Tickets and Event Tickets On Sale Now - Bossier-Shreveport Battle Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.