Burnette caps season with Catch of the Week honor
SOUTHAVEN --- The arenafootball2 office in Chicago announced today that Memphis Xplorers WR/DB Adrian Burnette has been awarded the Cutters Catch of the Week Award for the semifinal round of the 2006 af2 playoffs.
Burnette's prized catch came on a third and 17 with just over 4:00 to play in the first quarter of the Xplorers 67-50 loss to the Green Bay Blizzard in Green Bay on Friday. Xplorers QB Brian Jones had to scramble back in to his own endzone to evade the Blizzard rush and basically threw the ball from goal line to goal line. Burnette gracefully leaped up, despite having a defender providing very tight coverage, and came down with the ball for a score and what would be a 20-7 Memphis lead.
Burnette, in his third af2 season out of Tulane and in his second stint with Memphis, finished the game with three catches for 56 yards and the one TD. He played in the final two regular season and the two playoff games, catching nine balls for 143 yards in those four contests.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from August 16, 2006
- Jerry Turner named U.S. Army Lineman of the Year - af2
- Brent Holmes Named Schutt Offensive Player of the Week - Green Bay Blizzard
- Burnette caps season with Catch of the Week honor - Memphis Xplorers
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- ET wins the Ironman Award - Spokane Shock
- af2 names weekly award recipients - af2
- Firecats WR/DB Brent Burnside Named ADT Defensive Player of the Week - Florida Firecats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.