WR/DB Kevin Nickerson Selected to AFL All-Rookie Team
Wranglers two-way Kevin Nickerson was the only rookie wide receiver/defensive back named to the 2005 AFL All-Rookie Team. Nickerson, who came to the AFL from the Canadian Football League, led the Wranglers in receiving yardage and scoring while contributing on special teams in his rookie campaign and steadily improved his defensive play throughout the year, making him a threat in all phases of the Arena Football game.
Kevin had a fantastic rookie season, said Wranglers Head Coach Skip Foster. He played consistently from Game One all the way through Week 16. We felt like he was difference maker, especially on offense, and made plays against some of the best defensive players in this League week in and week out.
Offensively, Nickerson accumulated 1,028 yards on 85 catches for a team-high 23 receiving touchdowns. Nickerson also scored a rushing touchdown and returned 12 kickoffs for 148 yards (12.3 yard average).
A newcomer to the cornerback position, Nickerson adjusted to the secondary quickly, posting the second-most tackles on the team with 39.5 total stops, 37 solo, three passes defensed, one interception and one forced fumble.
Playing both ways, particularly defense, was the biggest challenge for me this season, said Nickerson. Ive been an offensive guy all my life. Arena Football is a fun game and I had a good group of guys around me which made it an easy transition. This game is more suited for guys of my stature and it suits me and the type of player I am. You have to be aggressive and a tough guy.
The AFL Rookie of the Year will be announced on Wednesday, June 1. The All-Arena First and Second teams will be announced on Wednesday, May 25. Following is the 2005 AFL All-Rookie team:
2005 ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
POSITION PLAYER, TEAM
Quarterback Clint Stoerner, Dallas
Fullback/Linebacker Dan Alexander, Nashville
Offensive/Defensive lineman Aaron McConnell, Nashville
Offensive/Defensive lineman Joe Minucci, Nashville
Offensive/Defensive lineman Michael Landry, New Orleans
Wide receiver/Linebacker Derek Lee, Georgia
Wide receiver/Defensive back Kevin Nickerson, Austin
Offensive specialist Troy Bergeron, Georgia
Defensive specialist Billy Parker, New York
Defensive specialist Alvin Porter, New Orleans
Kicker Peter Martinez, Grand Rapids
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from May 24, 2005
- AFL announces 2005 All-Rookie Team - AFL I
- Rattlers Slay Gladiators Playoff Chances, 49-42 - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
- Parker brings home pair of awards - New York Dragons
- Chicago Rush game notes - Chicago Rush
- WR/DB Kevin Nickerson Selected to AFL All-Rookie Team - Austin Wranglers
- Force's Bergeron and Lee named to 2005 All-Rookie Team - Georgia Force
- Two VooDoo rookies receive recognition - New Orleans VooDoo
- Columbus' Groce goes Hollywood in remake of "The Longest Yard" - Columbus Destroyers
- Charlie Cook named AFL Ironman of the Week - Chicago Rush
- Dragons roar into playoffs - OSC Original by David Holusha
- Dennis Quaid and the Sharks to rock ADT ArenaBall Awards post-show party - AFL I
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Three Kats Named To AFL All-Rookie Squad - Nashville Kats
- Destroyers Offensive Coordinator Pete Costanza named Head Coach of af2s Albany Conquest - Columbus Destroyers
- Avengers Silas Demary and Remy Hamilton break AFL records - Los Angeles Avengers
- Stafford Named AFLWA Player of the Week - Tampa Bay Storm
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Etu Molden signs extension with Rush - Chicago Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.