Parker brings home pair of awards
New York Dragons DS Billy Parker was named to the 2005 AFL All-Rookie team and well as ADT Defensive Player of the Week. Both announcements were made live on ESPNews on Thursday afternoon.
"These are great honors to win and I appreciate receiving the credit for my efforts this season," said Parker. "But the truth is, I couldn't have done any of this without our coaches and the rest of the team. They were the ones that taught me how to be a defensive player in this game. This is a testament to teamwork. I owe it to them."
Parker led the league in interceptions with ten and was one shy of tying the AFL rookie record of eleven. He led all rookies and finished seventh overall in the league in tackles with 90.0 and tied for third in passes defensed with 21.
In last week's 62-28 victory over the Colorado Crush, Parker had with one interception, six pass breakups and a team-leading 9.5 tackles. He won ADT Defensive Player of the Game honors on six separate occasions this season, including his first two games.
"It's phenomenal what Billy has done this season," said Dragons head coach Weylan Harding. "It's a testimony to the amount of hard work and effort he put into making himself the football player he is today. We're all happy and proud for what he has accomplished."
Parker is also a strong candidate for the Rookie and Defensive Player of the Year awards, which will be announced on June 1 and June 7, respectively, on ESPNews.
Below is the 2005 AFL All-Rookie team:
Position - Player, Team
Quarterback - Clint Stoerner, Dallas
Fullback/Linebacker - Dan Alexander, Nashville
Offensive/Defensive Lineman - Aaron McConnell, Nashville
Offensive/Defensive Lineman - Joe Minucci, Nashville
Offensive/Defensive Lineman - Michael Landry, New Orleans
Wide receiver/Linebacker - Derek Lee, Georgia
Wide receiver/Defensive Back - Kevin Nickerson, Austin
Offensive Specialist - Troy Bergeron, Georgia
Defensive Specialist - Billy Parker, New York
Defensive Specialist - Alvin Porter, New Orleans
Kicker - Peter Martinez, Grand Rapids
The Drive to ArenaBowl XIX goes through the Nassau Coliseum this weekend as the Dragons host the Orlando Predators in the Divisional Round of the playoffs. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 PM on Sunday, May 29. Fans will want to get their tickets fast as the Coliseum is expected to be packed. Call 1-866-AFL-TIXX for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from May 24, 2005
- AFL announces 2005 All-Rookie Team - AFL I
- Rattlers Slay Gladiators Playoff Chances, 49-42 - OSC Original by Andrew Nordmeier
- Parker brings home pair of awards - New York Dragons
- Chicago Rush game notes - Chicago Rush
- WR/DB Kevin Nickerson Selected to AFL All-Rookie Team - Austin Wranglers
- Force's Bergeron and Lee named to 2005 All-Rookie Team - Georgia Force
- Two VooDoo rookies receive recognition - New Orleans VooDoo
- Columbus' Groce goes Hollywood in remake of "The Longest Yard" - Columbus Destroyers
- Charlie Cook named AFL Ironman of the Week - Chicago Rush
- Dragons roar into playoffs - OSC Original by David Holusha
- Dennis Quaid and the Sharks to rock ADT ArenaBall Awards post-show party - AFL I
- Tampa Bay Storm game notes - Tampa Bay Storm
- AFL names players of the week - AFL I
- Three Kats Named To AFL All-Rookie Squad - Nashville Kats
- Destroyers Offensive Coordinator Pete Costanza named Head Coach of af2s Albany Conquest - Columbus Destroyers
- Avengers Silas Demary and Remy Hamilton break AFL records - Los Angeles Avengers
- Stafford Named AFLWA Player of the Week - Tampa Bay Storm
- Georgia Force game notes - Georgia Force
- Etu Molden signs extension with Rush - Chicago Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.