Woodpeckers Ding Four Home Runs to Drop Keys
FREDERICK, MD - A big first inning buried the Frederick Keys (19-33, 48-73) as they took an 9-4 loss at the hands of the Fayetteville Woodpeckers (31-24, 62-62) on Saturday night at Nymeo Field. The Woodpeckers scored seven runs in the opening frame on a three-run shot from Corey Julks and an Enmanuel Valdez grand slam. The Keys struck for three in the bottom of the inning but failed to score until the ninth.
The first two Woodpeckers reached against David Lebron (2-5), who struggled to find the strike zone. He then fell behind to Julks, who belted a 3-1 pitch beyond the left-field wall. Lebron then walked two more batters before he was pulled.
Tyler Joyner came on in relief the day after he pitched the ninth inning. He walked a batter to load the bases but worked a strikeout for the second out of the inning. Valdez then came to the plate and slugged a grand slam out to center to take a 7-0 lead.
The Keys responded in the bottom half. With runners at second and third and two down, J.C. Escarra laced a single against the shift that scored a run to put the Keys on the board. After a walk loaded the bases, Robbie Thorburn punched a single to bring two more runs home and make it a 7-3 ball game.
The Keys were able to put a runner in scoring position over the next three innings but once Jojanse Torres (7-0) came in, the offense went silent. Torres struck out seven over 4.2 innings and allowed just two base runners during his outing.
Meanwhile, Luis Perez and Diogenes Almengo ate up the middle innings for the Keys. Perez was spotty but worked four scoreless frames and struck out five. Almengo threw three innings for the Keys and gave up two home runs to Scott Manea. Manea hit one in the sixth inning and the eighth, making it the first multi-home run game for the Woodpeckers.
In the ninth, the Keys loaded the bases and scored after Escarra was hit-by-a-pitch.
The Keys and Woodpeckers wrap up their three-game series on Sunday, August 18. LHP Cameron Bishop (1-9, 4.80) takes the mound for Frederick against LHP Parker Mushinski (0-0, 2.60) for Fayetteville. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00pm with pregame coverage starting at 12:45pm on the Tune In app and frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Five Run Ninth Lifts Mudcats to Thrilling 8-7 Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Pozo Rips Walk Off Single In Ninth To Top Wilmington - Down East Wood Ducks
- Woodpeckers Dominate Keys, Control Keys - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Dash Drop Nail-Biter 4-3 against Potomac on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers Ding Four Home Runs to Drop Keys - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Win 4-3 Thriller over Winston-Salem - Potomac Nationals
- Bullpen Collapses as Mudcats Stun Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans and Red Sox Postponed on Saturday Night - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Banuelos Set to Make Rehab Start for Dash on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 17 vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 17 vs. Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 17 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Playoff Ticket Packages Are on Sale Now - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.