P-Nats Win 4-3 Thriller over Winston-Salem
Winston-Salem, NC - The Potomac Nationals (29-26, 59-63) emerged victorious in a nail-biting contest over the Winston-Salem Dash (26-28, 64-54) on Saturday night, taking a 4-3 lead in the top of the ninth inning and ending the game with a close play at the plate.
DH Aldrem Corredor delivered the game-winning hit, stroking an RBI single with two outs in the top of the ninth inning to put the P-Nats on top. It extended Corredor's hitting streak to 17 games, a team-best in 2019, and enabled Potomac to climb to within 3.0 games of first place in the Northern Division.
LHP Carson Teel completed 7.0 innings for the second time in his career, spinning his second consecutive start by allowing only two runs. The lefty fanned four and walked only one, earning his third quality start.
For the second straight night, Potomac jumped out to an early 2-0 lead over the Dash. C Alex Dunlap blasted his third home run of the season off rehabbing White Sox LHP Manny Bañuelos in the second to score the first run, and doubled home a run in the fourth for his second RBI.
Winston-Salem would tie the game up in the fifth with a pair of two-out hits, as 2B Tate Blackman singled and CF Steele Walker doubled to bring the score to 2-2. Teel escaped further damage, and left men in scoring position in the sixth and seventh.
The P-Nats manufactured a run in the seventh, getting a leadoff walk from 3B Omar Meregildo and a sacrifice bunt from LF Jack Sundberg before CF Cole Freeman hit a sacrifice fly to right field to take a 3-2 lead.
LHP Hayden Howard relieved Teel in the eighth, but departed with two runners on base and two outs. RHP Frankie Bartow (W, 2-2) allowed a game-tying RBI single to 3B Mitch Roman, his fourth hit of the game, but Roman was thrown out trying to advance to second to end the inning.
In the ninth, SS Gilbert Lara coaxed a leadoff walk and was sacrificed to second before Freeman laced a base hit to left field. Lara was thrown out at the plate by LF Craig Dedelow, but with two outs and two strikes Corredor delivered with his game-winning hit to score Freeman from second base.
Bartow quickly got the first two outs in the bottom of the ninth, but Walker chopped an infield single to prolong the game before RF Tyler Frost singled to right-center field. Walker cruised easily to third and was waved home after Freeman briefly bobbled the ball in the outfield, but a relay beat him to the plate and Dunlap completed the tag to end the game.
The P-Nats go for the series win over the Dash on Sunday afternoon as RHP Jackson Tetreault faces off against LHP Taylor Varnell. First pitch at BB&T Ballpark is set for 2:00 pm, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show starting at 1:45. Fans can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
Fredericksburg Baseball is set to begin Carolina League play in 2020 at a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium facility, located at Celebrate Virginia South on Carl D. Silver Parkway near the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, VA. Celebrate baseball in The 'Burg and stay up to date with the progress of the new ballpark facility and the team online at www.fredericksburgbaseball.com, and follow Fredericksburg Baseball on Facebook (@FredericksburgBaseball), on Twitter (@FXBGBaseball20), and on Instagram (@fredericksburgbaseball).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Five Run Ninth Lifts Mudcats to Thrilling 8-7 Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Pozo Rips Walk Off Single In Ninth To Top Wilmington - Down East Wood Ducks
- Woodpeckers Dominate Keys, Control Keys - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Dash Drop Nail-Biter 4-3 against Potomac on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers Ding Four Home Runs to Drop Keys - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Win 4-3 Thriller over Winston-Salem - Potomac Nationals
- Bullpen Collapses as Mudcats Stun Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans and Red Sox Postponed on Saturday Night - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Banuelos Set to Make Rehab Start for Dash on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 17 vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 17 vs. Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 17 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Playoff Ticket Packages Are on Sale Now - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents
- P-Nats Drub Frederick 11-2 in Franchise's Final Potomac Game