Wood Ducks Rally Past Dash Saturday
Kinston, N.C. - After falling behind 3-0 early, the Wood Ducks scored four unanswered, to take the opening game of the three-game series from Winston-Salem, 4-3, Saturday.
Down East (15-19, 65-29) has now won 23 games this season in comeback fashion, and improve to 6-4 this season against the Dash (10-14, 48-40).
The Dash got on the board right away as Tyler Frost led off the ballgame with a home run off of Alex Eubanks, his 11th of the season to make it 1-0.
Then in the second, Craig Dedelow reached on a one-out single, and two batters later, Jordan George sliced a RBI double down the left field line to make it 2-0.
In the third inning, Frost led off the frame with a single, and then after Mitch Roman singled to put runners at first and third, Steele Walker came through with a sac fly, to make it 3-0 Dash.
Down East began to rally in the home third. Tyler Depreta-Johnson led off with a single up the middle, and then Julio Pablo Martinez put two in scoring position with a double to left-center. Franklin Rollin then brought home a run with an RBI groundout, and Sam Huff followed with a RBI single through the left side to make it 3-2.
One inning later, Josh Altmann blasted a home run to left field off of Jorgan Cavanerio, his first with the Wood Ducks, and fifth of the season, to tie the score at 3-3.
Cavanerio worked five innings allowing three runs on seven hits, he walked one and struck out two. Meanwhile, after falling behind early, Eubanks settled in. He did not allow a baserunner after the third inning, and set down the final 15 batters he faced in the contest. Eubanks worked seven innings, allowing three runs on five hits, didn't walk a batter, and struck out a season-high six.
In the bottom of the eighth inning, the Wood Ducks took their first lead of the ballgame. Yanio Perez doubled to the gap in right center with two outs to start the rally. Hasuan Viera followed and bounced a ball off the first base bag which George fielded, but threw high to the pitcher Andrew Perez (loss, 0-2) covering allowing Perez to score all the way from second base and put Down East ahead, 4-3.
After Scott Engler (win, 2-0) retired the side in order and struck out two in a perfect eighth inning, Michael Matuella (save, 2) worked a three-up, three-down ninth, picking up a strikeout to seal the win. Wood Ducks pitching retired the final 21 batters faced in the ballgame.
The Woodies and Dash will play game two of the three game series Sunday at 1 p.m. It's Sunday Funday at Grainger Stadium, featuring pre-game autographs, and postgame kids run the bases. The Wood Ducks will send righty Noah Bremer (1-0, 3.41) to the mound to face off with Dash righty Jonathan Stiever (2-2, 2.08). The broadcast will begin at 12:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps. For tickets and more information visit woodducksbaseball.com or call (2520 686-5172.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 13, 2019
- Rocks Rally from Five-Run Deficit for Walk-Off Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Waste Late Lead in 8-7 Loss in Wilmington - Carolina Mudcats
- Cheese Spoil Big Lead in Ninth, Lose in Extras - Frederick Keys
- Woodpeckers Fall in Lopsided Loss - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Winston Drops Series Opener 4-3 at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wood Ducks Rally Past Dash Saturday - Down East Wood Ducks
- Johnston's Brilliant Effort Stifles Woodpeckers 9-1 - Potomac Nationals
- July 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats and Pelicans Postponed on Saturday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans and Hillcats Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 13 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 13 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- July 13 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year