Cheese Spoil Big Lead in Ninth, Lose in Extras
FREDERICK, MD - A four run lead evaporated in the ninth inning as the Frederick Cheese (7-17, 36-57) dropped a 7-6 game in extras to the Salem Red Sox (16-7, 41-49) on Saturday night at Nyemo Field. The Red Sox scored the go-ahead run on a wild pitch in the 10th inning after Garrett Benge tied the game 6-6 with a two-run single to send it to extra innings. The Cheese offense tallied 12 hits, including three from Zach Jarrett and Jomar Reyes, but left 12 runners on for the second straight night. It is also the second straight extra-inning loss.
With the Cheese leading 6-2 in the ninth inning, Luis Perez hit a batter and allowed back-to-back singles to load the bases. He was replaced by Tim Naughton who got a force-out at home to get the second out of the frame, but the inning unraveled from there. Naughton walked in a run and allowed a Marcus Wilson RBI single to bring the game to 6-4. Benge then came to the plate and tied the game on a single that brought home a pair of runs.
The Cheese failed to respond in the ninth and the Red Sox were able to take the lead on a Diogenes Almengo (5-4) wild pitch. Frederick had the tying run at third with one-out and did not score him. The Cheese went 4-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left 12 on base.
The offense was firing in the first three innings, taking a 1-0 lead on Reyes' RBI single in the first. In the third, the Cheese sent 11 batters to the plate and scored five runs. The inning started with five straight singles, including RBI hits from Pat Dorrian and Sean Miller. Kirvin Moesquit then broke up a double-play ball that scored a run while Rio Gomez walked in the fifth run with the bases loaded to make it 6-0 Cheese.
Salem's starter Dylan Thompson gave up all six runs (five earned) on ten hits in 2.2 innings.
The Red Sox hoped on the board in the sixth thanks to RBI hits from Ryan Fitzgerald and Nick Lovullo and the Cheese had a chance in the bottom of the inning with the bases loaded and one-out but failed to score a run.
Ofelky Peralta was great in his second start with Frederick. Peralta gave up the two runs (one inherited) on six hits and struck out six in 5.2 innings.
Algenis Martinez (1-0) earned the win after throwing three scoreless while Andrew Schwaab (S, 6) closed out the 10th.
The Keys and Red Sox square off on Sunday, June 14. RHP Brenan Hanifee (5-9, 4.86) takes the mound for Frederick opposite RHP Thaddeus Ward (1-0, 1.27) for Salem. The Keys will celebrate National Buy Your Dad a Beer Day presented by Flying Dog Brewery with a special ticket promotion and $2 off select drafts. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00pm. Pregame coverage is set to start at 12:45pm on frederickkeys.com and the Tune In radio app.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 13, 2019
- Rocks Rally from Five-Run Deficit for Walk-Off Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Mudcats Waste Late Lead in 8-7 Loss in Wilmington - Carolina Mudcats
- Cheese Spoil Big Lead in Ninth, Lose in Extras - Frederick Keys
- Woodpeckers Fall in Lopsided Loss - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Winston Drops Series Opener 4-3 at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wood Ducks Rally Past Dash Saturday - Down East Wood Ducks
- Johnston's Brilliant Effort Stifles Woodpeckers 9-1 - Potomac Nationals
- July 13 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats and Pelicans Postponed on Saturday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Pelicans and Hillcats Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 13 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 13 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- July 13 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.