Winning Streak Snapped by Smokies on Tuesday, 2-0
PEARL, MS - The Mississippi Braves had their five-game winning streak come to an end on Tuesday night in a 2-0 loss to the Tennessee Smokies at Trustmark Park.
The M-Braves (25-18) stranded 11 runners on base in the series opener and finished 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
Tennessee (15-26) struck first in the top of the first inning. Christopher Morel doubled with one out down the left-field line and advanced to third base on an error. Morel scored on an A.J. Puckett (L, 1-2) wild pitch during the next at-bat.
Puckett made his sixth M-Braves start in Tuesday's series opener and surrendered two runs on six hits with one walk and two strikeouts. The Smokies pushed their lead to 2-0 in the top of the fourth inning when back-to-back singles from Nelson Maldanodo and Grayson Byrd scored Tyler Payne. Byrd, the son of former Atlanta Braves reliever and TV analyst Paul Byrd, reached base safely twice, going 1-for-3 with an RBI.
The M-Braves bullpen shut down Tennessee over 5.0 no-hit innings to end the game. Troy Bacon struck out four over 2.0 innings, including an immaculate frame in the sixth. Bacon struck out Brennen Davis, Strumpf, and Payne on nine pitches. Will Latcham, Chris Nunn, and Daysbel Hernandez all posted hitless innings. In total, the M-Braves bullpen struck out eight and walked two on Tuesday night.
The M-Braves offense couldn't solve Tennessee starter Luis Lugo (W, 1-3), who earned his first win of 2021 with 5.0 shutout innings. The Braves placed eight runners on base from the fifth through seventh innings but stranded them all on base. Relievers Juan Gamez, Dakota Chalmers, Wyatt Short, and Manuel Rodriguez (S, 4) combined with Lugo for the shutout.
Justin Dean stayed hot for the Braves at the plate, finishing 2-for-5.
The M-Braves will look to get back into the win column on Wednesday night in game two against Tennessee. RHP Nolan Kingham (4-1, 2.64) will start for the Braves against RHP Cam Sanders (0-2, 5.70) for the Smokies. The first pitch is set for 6:35 pm with coverage on 103.9 WYAB, mississippibraves.com, and MiLB FirstPitch app.Â
First Responders Day - All First Responders (Military/Veterans/Fire/Police) and Healthcare workers receive FREE ADMISSION each Wednesday home game at Trustmark Park. Just show your work badge at the box office. AMR presents first Responders Day
Join Us 4 a Jackson - Every Wednesday, "Join Us 4 A Jackson" and let $20 get you (4) Field Level Tickets and (4) 16 oz. Fountain Drinks! Additional tickets may be purchased for just $5.
Wine Wednesday: Every M-Braves Wednesday game is a Wine Wednesday featuring a local Sommelier along with Wine Tasting, Wine Trivia, and great prizes. The Wine Tasting will take place in the Farm Bureau Grill & Outdoor Patio from 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm, and there is no additional charge for admission along with your game ticket.
For tickets or more information about the M-Braves, visit mississippibraves.com or call 888-BRAVES4.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A South League message board...
Double-A South League Stories from June 22, 2021
- Winning Streak Snapped by Smokies on Tuesday, 2-0 - Mississippi Braves
- Criswell Carries Trash Pandas Past Lookouts 5-2ÃÂ - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Lookouts Get out to a Fast Start, But Fall 5-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Shuckers and Biscuits Postponed - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits and Shuckers Postponed - Montgomery Biscuits
- Fourth of July Festivities Return to Blue Wahoos Stadium - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Ethan Small Promoted to Triple-A Nashville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Braves' No. 20 Prospect Spencer Strider Added from High-A Rome - Mississippi Braves
- Tuesday, June 22 vs. Tennessee Smokies: 6:35 PM: Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
- Cooper Criswell Named Double-A South Pitcher of the Week - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- July Promotions Announced for Biloxi Shuckers - Biloxi Shuckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- M-Braves Even Series After 8-5 Win in Montgomery on Wednesday
- Game 2 - Wednesday, September 22 at Montgomery (TB): 6:35 PM CT: Riverwalk Stadium
- Biscuits Down M-Braves 7-1 in Game 1 of Championship Series
- Game 1 - Tuesday, September 21 at Montgomery (TB): 6:35 PM CT: Riverwalk Stadium
- Langeliers, Kingham Named Farm Bureau Player & Pitcher of the Week