Wildcats part ways with head coach Donnie Davis and coaching staff
ALBANY, GA- The South Georgia Wildcats arenafootball team announced today that they have decided not to retain head coach Donnie Davis and his coaching staff after the Wildcats finished the 2006 season with a 3-13 record.
Wildcats general manager Darren McPhail stated "As an organization we would like to thank Donnie Davis and his coaching staff for their time and effort and we wish them the best in their future. We feel like it's in everyone's best interest to move forward in a different direction."
Davis replaced Chris Siegfried last season with six games remaining and guided the team to one win as the Wildcats finished the 2005 season at 3-13. In 2006, Davis would be joined by assistant head coach Ron Hill and defensive coordinator Adrian Jones. Under Davis and his coaching staff, the Wildcats finished the 2006 season tied for fifth place in the American Conference South division and would have a season high two game win streak.
"After several lengthy discussions with Donnie where it was clear he wanted to remain for the 2007 season to continue working with his core of maturing rookies, I feel that we basically have to wipe the slate clean and move in the direction of hiring a new coach for the 2007 season. We obviously have made the change at the Managing Partner level and I believe that in order to be able to clearly quantify how we do in 2007 we need a complete fresh start. The goal remains the same - being competitive and making the playoffs, but our football system needs revamping. I am not sure we had everything in place our coaches needed to accomplish the goal, and by taking these steps we'll be able to evaluate the entire organization in the future without hesitation or finger pointing" said managing partner John Hunt.
The Wildcats have not named a head coach for the 2007 season and are still evaluating potential candidates.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from August 14, 2006
- Come Say Your Goodbye's To Your 2006 Manchester Wolves - Manchester Wolves
- 2006 Arenacup Playoff Semifinal Recap - af2
- Top League Performers Earn All-af2 Status - af2
- Vinny C & Jamarr Ward Earn All-af2 Honors - Albany Firebirds
- Crear is All-AF2 for Third Straight Year - Memphis Xplorers
- Pioneer Jim Jones named to the American Conference All-af2 First Team - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers
- Morgan, Maeko Tally All-af2 Honors - Stockton Lightning
- Fire Puts Five on All-af2 Teams - Louisville Fire
- Top league performers earn All-af2 status - af2
- Wildcats part ways with head coach Donnie Davis and coaching staff - South Georgia Wildcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.