Wild Things Fall to Crushers 3-2 in Middle Game
WASHINGTON, Pa. - After Lake Erie and Washington combined for 27 hits and 17 runs last night, the game was again tight, but this time went 3-2 to the Lake Erie Crushers on Saturday at Wild Things Park. JJ Fernandez provided the only two runs for Washington with a fourth inning two-run blast, his first as a Wild Thing.
The first three innings went by quickly, with neither team able to muster up much against either starter: Paddy Ledet for Lake Erie and Nick Wegmann for Washington. The Wild Things had three baserunners and two hits in the fourth, the inning that featured the two-run homer to left by Fernandez that started the scoring.
In the sixth, with Wegmann hovering near 90 pitches, the Crushers had back-to-back-to-back hits to start the frame and chased Wegmann from the contest. The third hit, a double by first baseman Jake Veith scored Lake Erie's first run. The next batter, and first to face James Meeker who came on to pitch, Zach Racusin, singled to tie the game at 2 before the next hitter, right fielder Steven Kraft, lifted a sac fly to give the Crushers the lead, 3-2.
It was a lead they wouldn't let up, despite the Wild Things having the tying run on in the eighth in scoring position, and getting two baserunners off Kent Hasler, who got the save for Ledet after the former ThunderBolts' pitcher went eight strong, in the ninth. Kraft made a diving play to potentially save the game for the Crushers on Washington backstop Lucas Herbert for the second out of the ninth inning, when Washington had the winning run at first base.
The Wild Things will now look to avoid the sweep at the hands of the Crushers, who were the only team to sweep the Wild Things last season. Lake Erie swept Washington twice in 2018. Carter Johnson, a righty, goes for Washington tomorrow, against Dylan Mouzakes, a right hander for the Crushers.
First pitch for the series finale in slated for 5:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Grizzlies Outlast Rascals in 10, Even Series - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Fall 7-5 in Extras - River City Rascals
- Freedom Take Middle Game over Otters - Florence Y'alls
- Otters Can't Overcome Freedom's Big Seventh - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Score Late, Take Game Two - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Rally Late to Take Down Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Fall to Crushers 3-2 in Middle Game - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Shut out ThunderBolts to Take Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Shutout in Middle Game at Southern Illinois - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers outlast Wild Things - Lake Erie Crushers
- Avery Makes Magic as Miners Walk off over Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Washington Drops Home Opener to Crushers - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.