Boomers Score Late, Take Game Two
JOLIET, IL - In his first outing of the season, Daren Osby pitched 5 1/3 scoreless innings. He held the Boomers in check, only allowing 4 hits while striking out 2. Drew Peden came on in relief in the 5th inning and shut the door on the Boomers. Peden pitched 1 2/3 innings out of the bullpen, striking out 2 Boomer hitters.
Aaron Rozek pitched well for the Boomers; he held the Slammers scoreless until they finally broke through in the 4th inning. It was a sac fly from Riley Krane that put the Slammers up 1-0. Rozek's final line: 5 IP, 3 H, 4 K, 2 BB, 1 ER.
The Slammers were held scoreless through the first 3 innings, that all changed when Riley Krane lifted a sacrifice fly to right scoring Chaz Meadows. Ridge Hoopii-Haslam moved Meadows to 3rd with single, he was thrown out trying to stretch it to a double. This would end up being the Slammers' only run of the game. They finish the game 5 hits.
The Boomers offense came alive tonight, after only putting up 4 hits in last night's game. The Boomers were held scoreless through the first 7 innings, until Connor Oliver hit a 2 RBI double off of Isaac Sanchez to put the Boomers up 2-1 in the top of the 8th inning. Jack Parenty would follow up that double with an RBI single pushing the score to 3-1. The Boomer's 3rd run would be charged to Sanchez.
The Boomers added another run in the top of the 9th thanks to an RBI single from Nick Oddo. The Boomers finished tonight's game with 10 hits.
With the loss, the Slammers fall to 4-5 on the young season, while the Boomers move to 4-4. The rubber match of this 3-game series will be held Saturday afternoon with the first pitch scheduled for 1:05.
The winning pitcher in tonight's game was Taylor Goshen. He went 2 innings, giving up 1 hit and striking out 2, out of the bullpen. The losing pitcher was Isaac Sanchez. He went 2/3 of an inning, giving up 2 hits, 2 walks, and 3 earned runs. The save is credited to Connor Eller
Tonight's Merchants and Manufacturer's Bank Player of the Game is Daren Osby (5 1/3 IP, 4 H, 2 SO, 0 ER).
About the Joliet Slammers: The Joliet Slammers play at Joliet Route 66 Stadium in downtown Joliet, Illinois, and are members of the professional, independent Frontier League. The Frontier League is entering its 27th season of play in 2019. Visit the Slammers online at www.jolietslammers.com or call the ticket office at 815-722-2287 for more information! Don't forget to "Like" the Slammers on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jolietslammers or follow them on Twitter at @jolietslammers!
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Grizzlies Outlast Rascals in 10, Even Series - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Fall 7-5 in Extras - River City Rascals
- Freedom Take Middle Game over Otters - Florence Y'alls
- Otters Can't Overcome Freedom's Big Seventh - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Score Late, Take Game Two - Joliet Slammers
- Boomers Rally Late to Take Down Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Fall to Crushers 3-2 in Middle Game - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Shut out ThunderBolts to Take Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Shutout in Middle Game at Southern Illinois - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Crushers outlast Wild Things - Lake Erie Crushers
- Avery Makes Magic as Miners Walk off over Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Washington Drops Home Opener to Crushers - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.