Whitmore's Career-High, Samuels Jr. and Culver Catapult Vipers to Victory
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (7-5), the NBA G League affiliate of the Houston Rockets, defeated the Birmingham Squadron (5-6) 132-99 on Saturday night at Legacy Arena at the BJCC.
During the first four minutes of the quarter the game was back-and-forth between both teams. After multiple lead changes and ties the score was set at 11-10 in favor of the Vipers. After that, RGV ran away with the lead and remained with it until the end of the quarter with a score of 36-21.
In the second quarter the Vipers kept the momentum going and extended its advantage to 25 points which resulted in a score of 72-47 going into halftime. At the half, Houston Rockets assignment Cam Whitmore (17 points), Houston Rockets Two-Way Jermaine Samuels Jr. (21 points) and Jarret Culver (14 points) accounted for 52 of the 72 points scored.
RGV continued to extend its lead in the third quarter and had a 40-point lead over the Squadron which resulted in a score of 109-69 at the end of the third.
RGV kept the fuel burning in the fourth quarter which resulted in a 132-99 victory for the team.
Whitmore led all scorers with a career-high 42 points. Samuels Jr. posted a double-double with 29 points, 13 rebounds and five assists. Culver finished with 18 points. Shawn Occeus finished the night with a season-high 10 points. Houston Rockets Two-Way Nate Hinton contributed 11 assists.
Birmingham was led by Izaiah Brockington with 24 points and Trey Jemison with 14 points. Devin Cannady, Malcolm Hill and Pavel Savkov all finished with 12 points each. Jalen Crutcher had 10 points.
The Vipers return to the Bert Ogden Arena on Tuesday, Dec. 12 at 11:00 a.m. CST to take on the Texas Legends during the team's annual Kids Day game. For more information visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 9, 2023
- Whitmore's Career-High, Samuels Jr. and Culver Catapult Vipers to Victory - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Vipers Top Squadron, 132-99 - Birmingham Squadron
- Charge Defeated by Mad Ants - Cleveland Charge
- Wisconsin Herd Falls to Windy City Bulls - Wisconsin Herd
- Blue Coats Beat Swarm, 139-119 - Delaware Blue Coats
- Windy City Bulls Earn Home Victory Against Wisconsin Herd - Windy City Bulls
- Sandro Mamukelashvili and Blake Wesley Assigned to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat G League Ignite, 153-118 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Ignite Drops Home Contest to Santa Cruz, 153-118 - NBA G League Ignite
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.