WESTCHESTER KNICKS DEFENDS ITS HIVE WITH HOME WIN OVER GREENSBORO SWARM
WHITE PLAINS, NY, - In a true team effort, the Westchester Knicks (24-12), the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, defeated the Greensboro Swarm (10-22), the Charlotte Hornets' affiliate, 107-93 at the Westchester County Center.
Four Knicks recorded double-doubles in the win. Knicks Two-Way players Luke Kornet and Isaiah Hicks each had 14 points with 11 rebounds, Kornet also adding five assists and four blocks and Hicks three blocks. Knicks affiliate Xavier Rathan-Mayes ended with 10 points and rebounds, as did newcomer Zak Irvin in his first game with Westchester. Nigel Hayes and Paul Watson both supplied 17 points for the team, while Billy Garrett provided 13 points and six assists from the pine.
Hornets Two-Way player Marcus Paige finished with a game-high 23 points and three each of assists and steals. Fellow Two-Way player Mangok Mathiang provided Greensboro's sole double-double with 16 points and 15 rebounds. Cat Barber contributed 20 points, six rebounds, and three assists; Roscoe Smith chipping in 11 points.
Coming off an exciting comeback win in Canada, the Westchester Knicks tipped off the game with a dunk from Isaiah Hicks, immediately followed by a 15-4 team run. Greensboro, shooting just 23 percent through the first quarter, was ill matched for the 62 percent shooting Knicks as the visitors managed just 17 points after one. Up by 14 to start the second, Westchester stretched the lead to 28 towards the end of the quarter due in part to a 13-2 run. The Swarm would end the half with a 25-point deficit.
Greensboro came out of the locker room a different team in the third quarter, outscoring the Knicks 25-8 through the first nine minutes and cutting its deficit in half heading to the fourth. Unfortunately for the Swarm, that was as close as it would come as Westchester pushed its lead back up to 20 with 1:38 remaining. A six-point push at the end was an effort much too late for Greensboro as the Knicks took the game 107-93.
The Greensboro Swarm play at home next on Wednesday, Feb. 7 at 7:00 p.m. against the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, the Indiana Pacers' affiliate.
About the Westchester Knicks: The NBA Gatorade League's Westchester Knicks basketball team, the official affiliate of the New York Knickerbockers, is part of The Madison Square Garden Company. The MadisonSquare Garden Company (MSG) is a world leader in live sports and entertainment experiences. The company presents or hosts a broad array of premier events in its diverse collection of iconic venues: New York's Madison Square Garden, The Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and Beacon Theatre; the Forum in Inglewood, CA; The Chicago Theatre; and the Wang Theatre in Boston. Other MSG properties include legendary sports franchises: the New York Knicks (NBA), the New York Rangers (NHL) and the New York Liberty (WNBA); two development league teams - the Westchester Knicks (NBAGL) and the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL); and one of the leading North American esports organizations, Counter Logic Gaming. In addition, the Company features the popular original production - the Christmas Spectacular Starring the Radio City Rockettes - and through Boston Calling Events, produces New England's preeminent Boston Calling Music Festival. Also under the MSG umbrella is TAO Group, a world-class hospitality group with globally-recognized entertainment dining and nightlife brands: Tao, Marquee, Lavo, Avenue, The Stanton Social, Beauty & Essex and Vandal.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Herd to Celebrate National Pizza Day - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Lakers Shell out Another Win over Maine - South Bay Lakers
- Lakers Stop Red Claws' Rally - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Suffer Road Defeat - Canton Charge
- Travis Wear Named NBA G League Player of the Week - South Bay Lakers
- Stars Burn out as South Bay Sweeps the Season Series - South Bay Lakers
- Iowa Wolves Host Memphis Hustle on Education Celebration Day - Iowa Wolves
- Legends Acquire Jordan Downing - Texas Legends
- San Antonio Recalls Derrick White from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Trail Blazers Recall Caleb Swanigan from Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Bighorns Partner with Switch and First Nevada for Education Day Game - Reno Bighorns
- Santa Cruz Warriors' Protest Granted for Misapplication of Rules - G League
- WESTCHESTER KNICKS DEFENDS ITS HIVE WITH HOME WIN OVER GREENSBORO SWARM - Westchester Knicks
- Darrun Hilliard Named to Midseason All-NBA G League West Team - Austin Spurs
- Motley, Warney Named to Midseason All-NBA G League Team - Texas Legends
- Allen, Bird Named to Midseason All-NBA G-League Team - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.