South Bay Lakers Shell out Another Win over Maine
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers grabbed their third straight win as they beat the Maine Red Claws, 121-115, on Monday night. Alex Caruso and Thomas Bryant came off the bench with 18 points apiece to lead South Bay (21-12) to the victory. The Red Claws (16-19) were paced by L.J. Peak who scored a game-high 37 points.
Gary Payton II led the Lakers in the first quarter with nine points to give South Bay the 30-23 lead through one. A balanced effort paced the Lakers in the second as Stephaun Branch, Scott Machado and Travis Wear each scored seven points in the period. South Bay took a 63-50 lead into the half despite 17 points from Anthony Bennett in the first half.
Daniel Dixon and Peak combined for 22 points in the third to help get Maine back in the game as the two teams were tied at 85 through three. Caruso finished with eight points in the third to lead South Bay. Peak scored 17 points in the final frame alone, but the Lakers repeatedly got to the line, converting 14-17 shots from the charity stripe, to grab the close win.
Peak's big scoring night kept the Red Claws close, as all five Maine starters scored in double figures. Bennett (22 points, nine rebounds, three steals), Drew Barham (16 points, seven rebounds, six assists), Daniel Dixon (14 points, six assists, three steals) and Devin Williams (12 points, nine rebounds, three steals) finished out the starting five, while Vitto Brown scored 11 points off the bench.
Bryant (18 points, seven rebounds) and Caruso (18 points, seven rebounds, seven assists) provided a scoring punch for the second unit while Machado (17 points, five rebounds, six assists) and Ivica Zubac (17 points, nine rebounds, three blocks) paced the starters. Payton II (15 points, five rebounds, six assists, two steals) continued his all-around play and Wear finished with 14 points after being named the NBA G League Player of the Week earlier in the day. Branch also finished in double figures for South Bay with 12 points off the bench.
The South Bay Lakers hit the road to take on the Reno Bighorns on Wednesday, February 7 at 7:00 from the Reno Events Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 5, 2018
- Herd to Celebrate National Pizza Day - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Lakers Shell out Another Win over Maine - South Bay Lakers
- Lakers Stop Red Claws' Rally - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Suffer Road Defeat - Canton Charge
- Travis Wear Named NBA G League Player of the Week - South Bay Lakers
- Stars Burn out as South Bay Sweeps the Season Series - South Bay Lakers
- Iowa Wolves Host Memphis Hustle on Education Celebration Day - Iowa Wolves
- Legends Acquire Jordan Downing - Texas Legends
- San Antonio Recalls Derrick White from Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Trail Blazers Recall Caleb Swanigan from Canton Charge - Canton Charge
- Bighorns Partner with Switch and First Nevada for Education Day Game - Reno Bighorns
- Santa Cruz Warriors' Protest Granted for Misapplication of Rules - G League
- WESTCHESTER KNICKS DEFENDS ITS HIVE WITH HOME WIN OVER GREENSBORO SWARM - Westchester Knicks
- Darrun Hilliard Named to Midseason All-NBA G League West Team - Austin Spurs
- Motley, Warney Named to Midseason All-NBA G League Team - Texas Legends
- Allen, Bird Named to Midseason All-NBA G-League Team - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bay Lakers Stories
- Alex Caruso Chosen to Attend June USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp
- Thomas Bryant and Alex Caruso Headline All-NBA G League Teams
- South Bay Lakers Drop Western Conference Finals
- South Bay Plays Its Cards Right, Advances to West Finals
- Los Angeles Lakers Recall Travis Wear from South Bay